Ahh! Crap endings in good books! I am so disappointed! What's yours?

(220 Posts)
SinisterBuggyMonth Thu 12-Dec-13 00:54:00

Right just finished Liz Jensen Uninvited and although the story was great and I was really getting swept up by it the ending was such a disappointment. There was no resolution, I feel like I've wasted hours of my life!

So, what endings have left you fed up.

(And if someone can explain that ending please do as it is going to annoy me forever)

Lighthousekeeping Thu 12-Dec-13 01:10:44

Gone Girl. Hated the ending.

JustAWaterForMePlease Thu 12-Dec-13 01:11:20

I had just come on here to say Gone Girl!

SinisterBuggyMonth Thu 12-Dec-13 01:24:03

Oh thank you. By a weird coincidence Gone Girl was my next library book!

It's going back tomorrow. I can't do 2 in a row!

tumbletumble Thu 12-Dec-13 06:51:24

Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson. Enjoyed the book but thought the ending was rubbish. I liked the Gone Girl ending though!

DuchessofMalfi Thu 12-Dec-13 06:51:42

I loved the ending in Gone Girl purely because it wasn't what I was expecting. It's still good, and I thought it very apt. Good twist.

Will have a think about some crap endings that I've read and post later smile

DuchessofMalfi Thu 12-Dec-13 06:58:26

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, agreed Before I Go To Sleep - didn't like the book at all, One Day, The Sisters Brothers, a couple by Joanne Harris, but can't remember the titles now!

hackmum Thu 12-Dec-13 09:44:51

Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Everyone I know was disappointed in the ending.

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan. Tricksy endings infuriate me - and it's not the first time he's done it.

bimblebee Thu 12-Dec-13 09:49:39

Laura Blundy by Julie Myerson. Loved the writing throughout the book but just didn't get the ending.

sleepyhead Thu 12-Dec-13 09:53:42

The Journal of Dora Damage, Belinda Starling. It had about three endings and just felt a bit unfinished.

The author died though, before it was published sad and I did wonder if she'd have maybe plumped it up a bit and given it a final edit if she'd lived. Otherwise it was a really good book, and I'd still recommend it. It's so sad that it was her only one.

beachedwhalesarecool Thu 12-Dec-13 10:01:50

I have read too many books recently which are well-written until the last few pages, then everything is suddenly wrapped up preposterously and way too conveniently.
It's almost as if the author had a TV adaptation in mind (ITV Sunday night drama?!) when they were writing. It taints my enjoyment of the whole book.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 12-Dec-13 11:11:34

I thoroughly enjoyed Sweet Tooth - thought the ending was superb, hackmum grin. One of the reasons why Ian McEwan is a favourite author of mine. I love a tricksy ending that seems to come out of nowhere.

That's why I enjoyed Gone Girl so much. If it had had the expected ending I thought it was heading for I would have thought it a bit meh, but to pull a different ending out of the bag lifted it out of the ordinary.

CoteDAzur Thu 12-Dec-13 14:56:21

I was fine with Gone Girl's ending and thought Sweet Tooth's ending was good.

I got royally pissed off with the ending of The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry. It was all one big pile of fluff, to be honest, but the cheap trick at the end designed to impress the reader just made me want to scream.

CalamitouslyWrong Thu 12-Dec-13 15:04:42

I didn't like the ending to gone girl either. I found it irritating.

CalamitouslyWrong Thu 12-Dec-13 15:05:27

The ending to veronika roth's allegiant is awful. Just dire.

CalamitouslyWrong Thu 12-Dec-13 15:07:17

And (sorry for the multiple posts) the worst ending of all time is in breaking bloody dawn. It was too neat and convenient (and utterly anticlimactic) even for a book that revolved entirely round a Mary Sue.

CalamitouslyWrong Thu 12-Dec-13 15:09:13

The last two obviously aren't 'good books'. But the utterly crap endings came after reading several books, so you feel even more cheated. It's the whole 'after ploughing through all that...' thing.

My Sister's Keeper

starofbethlehemfishmummy Thu 12-Dec-13 15:19:09

One of the Kathy Reichs novels (can't remember which one, or maybe kt was Mkrema than one!)
Enjoyed reading it and trying to work out "whodunnit", get to the end where the murderer was revealed to be someone who had never been mentioned anywhere in the book!

starofbethlehemfishmummy Thu 12-Dec-13 15:19:51

I really should proof read more carefully.

Maybe it was more than one

SuffolkNWhat Thu 12-Dec-13 15:34:16

Another vote for Allegiant, just awful.

Dunlurking Thu 12-Dec-13 16:32:01

Mockingjay - the 3rd book of the Hunger Games. And another vote here for Allegiant, sooo disappointed at that end to the trilogy. What is it about YA trilogies?

LeBearPolar Thu 12-Dec-13 16:34:44

Blue-eyed Boy bu Joanne Harris. I read it on holiday and was so annoyed with her! The most CBA ending ever, I think.

LeBearPolar Thu 12-Dec-13 16:35:08

by not bu. That's how annoyed I was - can't type properly now!

AgadorSpartacus Thu 12-Dec-13 16:41:31

Never let me go.

I just thought fucking hell. Is that really it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now