Novel set in Scotland/Glasgow or non fiction for gift

(30 Posts)
ggirl Mon 11-Nov-13 17:31:13

I gave my father the Story of St Kilda which he loved, so am looking for either a novel or nonfiction about or set in Scotland.
He lives in Canada so always feels nostalgic for 'home' and is very hard to buy presents for.

Trainspotting? Other books by Irvine Welsh, or are they too sweary?

MrsLettuce Mon 11-Nov-13 17:38:09

I really enjoyed a book called Morvern Callar by Alan Warner, it was an age ago that I read it but might be worth looking up a synopsis.

Glitterkitten24 Mon 11-Nov-13 17:39:15

The Crow Rd, Iain Banks?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 11-Nov-13 17:39:20

Para Handy always raises a smile. Or if he likes detective fiction, Ian Rankin writes the Rebus novels set in and around Edinburgh. Val McDermid, Christopher Brookmyre, Alex Gray... My mind has gone blank, but there are more.

HyvaPaiva Mon 11-Nov-13 17:41:04

He might like the work of Neil Gunn.

Weegiemum Mon 11-Nov-13 17:41:11

Sea Room, by Adam Nicolson.

It's his story of inheriting the Shiant Islands off the Isle of Harris. Brilliant book, non-fiction.

JackAubrey Mon 11-Nov-13 17:43:50

Anything by James Robertson; he's brilliant. most of his books are set in Scotland. Flodden by Rosemary Goring is quite good. Atmospheric thrillers set in the outer Hebrides - the recent trilogy by peter may starting with The Black House.

ggirl Mon 11-Nov-13 17:44:37

oh wow thanks for all the suggestions

will have a look at them all

Sea Room sounds like it might be good one.

Yes trainspotting a bit too gritty for him.

May get him 2 or 3

JackAubrey Mon 11-Nov-13 17:44:42

Anything by James Robertson; he's brilliant. most of his books are set in Scotland. Flodden by Rosemary Goring is quite good. Atmospheric thrillers set in the outer Hebrides - the recent trilogy by peter may starting with The Black House.

ProfondoRosso Mon 11-Nov-13 17:45:44

He might like Night Falls on Ardnamurchan, if he liked the St Kilda story. That's a great non-fiction book about a crofting family, really good. Night Falls on Ardnamurchan

If he likes a bit of Glaswegian humour, he might also like The Patter. It's kind of an illustrated, very funny dictionary of Glasgow slang with brilliant examples of its usage. [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Patter-Michael-Munro/dp/1780271468/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384191875&sr=1-3&keywords=the+patter The Patter]

I am very biased, because my dear old Da wrote it, but it's genuinely hilarious!

ProfondoRosso Mon 11-Nov-13 17:46:18

Sorry, link fail The Patter

Hadmeathello Mon 11-Nov-13 17:46:59

There's a new book out about the Barrowlands. Could be interesting if he ever frequented it.

JackAubrey Mon 11-Nov-13 17:56:53

Sorry! books are so good I posted twice....xx Can I add that Sea Room is AMAZING.

JaneEyresHeir Mon 11-Nov-13 18:09:12

Glasgow Herald's 100 Best Scottish novels should give you some ideas!

Bella Bathurst's non fiction account of Robert Louis Stevenson's ancestors who built the Scottish coastal lighthouses The Lighthouse Stevensons might be of interest.

Kate Atkinson and Val McDermid set their novels in Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee and Fife are among the featured locations! Val writes fairly grisly crime fiction.

Books by Compton Mackenzie, John Buchan and biographies - eg Gavin Maxwell, author of Ring of Bright Water by John Botting

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 11-Nov-13 20:26:07

Another vote for the Peter May trilogy and Sea Room.

For non-fiction he might enjoy Tales from an Island by Christina Hall which is her memoirs of growing up on South Uist from the 1940s to the 1960s. It includes a spell in Glasgow.

Some people may suggest Alexander McCall Smith's Scotland Street series, but I didn't find them as good as the Botswana ones. May be suitable, though, very good setting in Edinburgh.

I love The Story of St Kilda, totally fascinating.

So many good suggestions here you'll be needing to have a boxful of books sent out by ship!

tripfiction Mon 11-Nov-13 20:39:21

This link might help http://www.tripfiction.com/Search?Location=Scotland

Another vote for James Robertson. He's brilliant. Also, if he likes crime, William McIllvaney' s Laidlaw trilogy has been re-released. And Profondorosso - wow! We're great fans of The Patter in this house. I remember the DC just starting to get in when they were about 12. It's a favourite toilet book (in the nicest possible way!)

Yama Mon 11-Nov-13 20:54:16

Peter May's Lewis Trilogy is great. Set on the Isle of Lewis, they are crime novels. Lots of interesting stuff about the island though.

I read McIllvaney's Laidlaw when I was a teenager and loved the character.

SantanaLopez Mon 11-Nov-13 20:56:09

Poor Things for a fantasy based in Glasgow?

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Nov-13 20:59:01

I was also going to suggest "The Crow Road", but the cultural references are very much for someone in the late 30s/early 40s now. It

ProfondoRosso Mon 11-Nov-13 21:31:01

Aww, I'm glad it's brought your family joy, AgentProvocateur, even in the toilet! wink

SconeRhymesWithGone Mon 11-Nov-13 22:32:47

Janice Galloway's memoir This is Not About Me and its sequel All Made Up

WildThong Mon 11-Nov-13 22:37:55

These are quite funny for an older Weegie not me
A bit ahem colourful though
here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now