Angel Clare...

(31 Posts)
AphraBehn Sun 15-Sep-13 10:44:58

I know it's been discussed on here a few times but I've only just got around to reading Tess of The D'Ubervilles.

What a shit he is! I am really indignant about it. Haven't been this engrossed by a book for ages though.

wigglybeezer Mon 16-Sep-13 23:02:13

"Jude" is the only one I haven't read, I have held back for some reason. think I should read it.

Bink Mon 16-Sep-13 23:10:43

Yes Jude should be left till you have read everything else (a bit like leaving Lear to last). The cumulative impact is part of the essence.

Also, if you major on Hardy tragedy then you might miss out on Hardy comedy - the thing I always loved was how funny his genre bits are - he does eg ancient men grumbling egotistically across each other just brilliantly. That's the side of him I think gets under-recognised.

Angel Clare is a cock.

I will never read Jude again. Must get rid of my copy before DD progresses beyond Level 2 in reading grin.

Seriously, I read it at 17 and couldn't let it go for a fortnight. It would destroy me now.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 17-Sep-13 07:21:50

Must get rid of my copy before DD progresses beyond Level 2 in reading. Quite. grin

I don't think I can read Jude again either. Maybe I'll chop off the ending before reading it again? Would that be safe? One of the scariest books ever, I think.

Balloonist Tue 17-Sep-13 21:54:30

And although it wasn't the greatest of adaptations, perhaps, I thought Ecclestone was a pretty awesome Jude and when I think of Jude I just see Ecclestone's face now.

Not a bad thing by any means blush

ExitPursuedByADragon Tue 17-Sep-13 22:56:17

Christopher Ecclestone is my not so secret passion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now