Help me find some new books to read!

(9 Posts)
Rushyswife Fri 13-Sep-13 21:43:35

Hi lovely mners!

I am looking for inspiration! Not had the chance to go to an actual bookshop in ages and find it hard to 'browse' on amazon so thought I would ask you for recommendations of you favourite books or ones you've recently read that were good.

I like
Historical novels- love Sharon Penman and Phillipa Gregory, also CJ Samson

I enjoyed the Stieg Larson trilogy and recently read Gillian flynns gone girl (quite liked it) also read the play date by Louise Millar that was excellent!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Melawen Fri 13-Sep-13 21:57:02

I adore Sharon Penman. Have you tried Diana Gabaldon? A little far fetched perhaps but a cracking read of a series and she still hasn't finished - start with Cross Stitch (Outlander in the USA) and go from there.

Melawen Fri 13-Sep-13 21:59:04

Oh and practically anything by Bryce Courtenay - my favourite is Four Fires.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 14-Sep-13 09:21:46

Have you read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon? I read it recently and loved it. Could not put it down, complete page-turner.

Or how about Wolf Hall? Not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. It's very readable. I liked it.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern? Not bad. Very magical, and enjoyable read.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters? Also an excellent read. Very thought-provoking.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Not really my cup of tea. But lots of people loved it.

BlackAffronted Sat 14-Sep-13 09:28:41

I agree about the Diana Gabaldon books, the first few really gripped me & I couldnt put them down. I love Jamie Fraser smile

Room by Emma Donaghue was god, as was Apple Tree Lane (I forget the author). Those were 2 I recently couldnt put down.

I am reading The Sunne in Splendour, if you like books set during the War of the Roses.

pollywollydoodle Sat 14-Sep-13 09:30:56

I really enjoyed The Red House by Mark Haddon (Curious Incident) a story of an estranged brother and sister and their familes going to a holiday cottage for a week. Beautifully observed.

Fairylea Sat 14-Sep-13 09:32:13

Another vote for Room and also the night circus.

pollywollydoodle Sat 14-Sep-13 09:36:24

and The Night Watch by Sarah Waters...following the lives of a group of women on call to drive ambulances when bombs drop in WW2

Rushyswife Sat 14-Sep-13 17:26:45

Thank you! Plenty of great ideas, I shall enjoy reading them (I hope!) and try to remember to let you know how I get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now