Which Georgette Heyer book is this from please?

(24 Posts)
JuanPotatoTwo Thu 12-Sep-13 20:23:34

Can't remember and it's driving me mad!

In a scene between the two main protagonists, the heroine says something like she would never marry the hero. He responds by saying something like he would first have to ask her in order for her to refuse.

I remember reading the passage out to dh cos I thought it was such a clever turn of phrase but can't remember now which book it was in. I also remember dh looking singularly unimpressed ...

ChocolateChuckle Thu 12-Sep-13 20:31:26

Can't be absolutely certain as have not read loads of Georgette Heyer but I think it's the Grand Sophy. Does that sound right to you?

crumpet Thu 12-Sep-13 20:34:24

Not so sure about the Grand Sophy- Charles' fiancée (Honoria? Can't remember her name) was certainly not going to refuse him

minipie Thu 12-Sep-13 20:36:12

Regency Buck I think - Judith and Lord Worth. That's off the top of my head...

going to check

<sad>

ChocolateChuckle Thu 12-Sep-13 20:38:21

Crumpet - I was thinking more of Charles saying that to Sophy.

OneHandFlapping Thu 12-Sep-13 20:40:50

I think it might be Bath Tangle - Serena and Lord Rotherham

minipie Thu 12-Sep-13 20:42:47

yup, page 94

"And do you suppose, Lord Worth, that there is any great likelihood of my marrying you?" inquired Judith in a sleek, deceptive voice.
He raised his brows. "Until I ask you to marry me, Miss Taverner, not the least likelihood," he replied gently.

"And do you suppose, Lord Worth, that there is any great likelihood of my marrying you?" inquired Judith in a sleek, deceptive voice.

He raised his brows. "Until I ask you to marry me, Miss Taverner, not the least likelihood," he replied gently.

Dammit.

However, the search function on Kindle is excellent. Full Heyer collection [smug]

JuanPotatoTwo Thu 12-Sep-13 20:59:25

Thanks for all the quick replies and thank you esp minipie for quoting it! Still as impressed reading it now as I was then. smile

JuanPotatoTwo Thu 12-Sep-13 21:01:07

Oh and you too Horry (nearly addressed you as "Horny" then, glad I checked!)

minipie Thu 12-Sep-13 21:10:07

Horry I don't have them on kindle just the paper copies - yes I really have read them that many times blush

That's quality minipie grin

ArabellaBeaumaris Thu 12-Sep-13 21:53:42

Horry are they all available on Kindle?!

I haven't found a gap yet.

DH gave me a fully-loaded Kindle for my 30th. Sometimes he is very good.

ArabellaBeaumaris Thu 12-Sep-13 22:00:25

wow. I'm off to Amazon!

minipie Thu 12-Sep-13 22:01:38

one of them - I think it's the black moth - is available free from project gutenberg

sarahtigh Tue 17-Sep-13 18:13:14

are we still doing the Heyer series,?

penguinpaperback Tue 17-Sep-13 23:15:20

Hi, if the Heyer read along is still happening may I join you all? I have just bought a couple of the earlier books, The Black Moth and These Old Shades and can soon buy whichever is the next to read. I read some of the Heyer threads and felt I was missing out on some cracking books!

We've been working through in publication order. IIRC our last before the summer break was Sylvester, in which case Venetia is next, then Unknown Ajax and Pistols for Two.

The previous format has been "whoever finishes first and has some clever thoughts starts a thread" so I'd suggest we dig out our Venetias and get stuck in! grin

We had been working at approximately fortnightly intervals.

hth

sarahtigh Wed 18-Sep-13 09:46:33

Venetia one of my favourites but pistols for two is rubbish must re-read venetia again for umpteenth time

minipie Wed 18-Sep-13 09:48:36

How funny, I have just by total coincidence started (re re re re-)reading Venetia.

penguinpaperback Wed 18-Sep-13 13:59:18

Thank you HorryIsUpduffed...off to Amazon for a copy of Venetia and Unknown Ajax.

Bump to remind you to finish your Venetia - LadyIsabellaWrotham is gathering troops on the Sylvester thread to get a Venetia thread started very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now