Bibliotherapy - ideas needed for secondary school scheme - Remus?

(10 Posts)
notnowImreading Sun 08-Sep-13 11:13:59

I've been listening to the piece on bibliotherapy on Woman's Hour - basically, the idea that readin the right book at the right time can help you get through tough times or boost/suit your mood.

I thought it might be a fun and also possibly quite powerful idea to bring into school, perhaps through the website, perhaps through the library.

Any ideas for books to suit or help with particular moods or issues? This would be for years 7-11, so a range of kids', young adult and adult fiction.

Recommend the books you love to get you through the teenage crises...

Lovely idea.

If you are feeling that your nose is too big, or your boobs are too small, or your hair is too curly or whatever - Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging

Not feeling v inspired right now (hungry!). Will have a think...

Takver Sun 08-Sep-13 19:00:11

The Misfits by James Howe, and the two sequels Addie on the Inside and Totally Joe.

Younger end of your age range, for kids who are struggling socially. American but I don't think it matters, in fact maybe makes them a bit 'cooler', they're about 4 friends who don't fit in. My socially awkward dd really likes them, I kind of got them for her with the 'bibliotherapy' thing in mind smile .

Takver Sun 08-Sep-13 19:03:56

Also, the Dragonsong trilogy by Anne McCaffrey - again for those who don't quite fit in (about a girl who wants to be a musician in a society where this is a men-only job).

Agree its a great idea.

Takver Sun 08-Sep-13 19:05:26

And maybe any Molesworth but esp 'Down With Skool!' for those just feeling generally cheesed off ? grin

SnowWoman Sun 08-Sep-13 19:08:13

Nice idea. You could talk to your school librarian. She (and it is usually a she) is probably doing a lot of that already.

Feeling like a misfit (older pupils) - Jane Eyre / Mansfield Park / The Bell Jar
And (younger pupils) Michael Grant's 'Gone' or The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Nightime or that Alex whatsit one that's big at the mo

Sexuality - Linda Newbery The Shell House

notnowImreading Sun 08-Sep-13 21:06:19

Some great ideas so far. You're definitely right about the librarian, SnowWoman, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow and my mind is fizzing right now! She isn't doing anything as openly 'therapeutic' as this but I know will be full of ideas.

Keep 'em coming...

Louise Lawrence's "Patchwork People" (I think her "Children of the Dust" is on some school reading lists already, but that one too)
"Daz 4 Zoe" "Stone Cold" "Brother in the Land" by Robert Swindells.
I don't often recommend Jacqueline Wilson but "Sleepovers" is a nice one about a girl who is scared her friends will be put off her by her severely disabled sister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now