Can anyone help me remember the title of a dystopian book I read in the mid-90s?

(29 Posts)
JulieAnderton Fri 23-Aug-13 15:08:05

I read it in the mid-90's, but could possibly have been written earlier than that.

Set in the near future, there is a been a global heatwave, followed by a global ice-age (or maybe the other way around). A man and his son need to keep travelling to find food and shelter.

I'm sure mechanical/robotic birds that start reproducing on their own also feature, but I might be getting my books mixed up.

macthecatsmum Thu 29-Aug-13 11:29:45

sorry missed the robot birds thing. so not.

macthecatsmum Thu 29-Aug-13 11:28:42

Def the road. usual Cormac McCarthy gigglefest.

AnnaBegins Wed 28-Aug-13 19:53:12

Counting Crows it is smile Hope you like the book - Russian dystopia is a little different from western ones!

AugustMoon Tue 27-Aug-13 08:28:30

AnnaBegins, googling that one now. I like yr name btw - counting crows? (Realise the thread went quiet a few days ago but in case you check in again)

AugustMoon Tue 27-Aug-13 08:25:58

Thanks to this thread I am now reading The Road, which is bleak but i'm enjoying it nonetheless. Will read The Ice People next - thank you mumsnet (again) grin

AnnaBegins Fri 23-Aug-13 19:18:51

Have you read We by Zamyatin? Sounds like you'd like that too!

Franup Fri 23-Aug-13 19:00:50

Thanks CoteDAzur!

JulieAnderton Fri 23-Aug-13 15:37:22

Yes, I think that is probably where I got the bird bit from. Although I suspect I might have taken them as being robotic doves literally when I read the book.

Going back to my parent's house at the weekend, so will have a dig around to see if my copy is still there.

PlotTwist Fri 23-Aug-13 15:30:02
monal Fri 23-Aug-13 15:29:29

And they're called "Doves" hence the bird confusion.

JulieAnderton Fri 23-Aug-13 15:29:27

Yes, you are right, PlotTwists. Just found this on amazon:

'Set in the near future, it imagines not a globally warmed world, but an earth slowly returning to aridity and cold. A universal freeze has also descended upon relationships between men and women, who live in morbid segregation, with feathered robots as sexual partners. In a neat reversal of First World-Third World assumptions, Africa's relative warmth offers a last hope to northerly survivors as the novel charts one man's struggle to rescue his alienated son and bring him to where the sun shines' - Rose Tremain.

CoteDAzur Fri 23-Aug-13 15:29:08

Yes, Do Androids Dream... is quite different than Blade Runner. The story is quite different and also Philip K Dick's style is not so dark and action-filled as was the film.

PlotTwist Fri 23-Aug-13 15:27:26

I don't think they are birds, but there is robots in it that reproduce in The Ice People, it's one of the things I definitely remember.

CoteDAzur Fri 23-Aug-13 15:27:13

Franup - I think you would really enjoy Vermillion Sands by J G Ballard. It is a collection of loosely connected short stories, all taking place in the same time & place - slightly in the future and a future that might be called dystopian, and more "speculative fiction" than sci-fi.

JulieAnderton Fri 23-Aug-13 15:25:29

Sorry - lots of x-posts!

Yes - it is The Ice People. Thank you PlotTwists and Monal flowers

It sounds as though my reproducing mechanical birds must be another novel. Any ideas??

JulieAnderton Fri 23-Aug-13 15:22:06

Not The Road, although the man and son travelling is a similar theme.

I went through a long phase of reading dystopian/utopian novels when I was doing my A-levels in the mid-90s. Love Nineteen Eighty-Four, Brave New World (although was rather disappointed with them both when I read them more recently), The Handmaid's Tale.

I really enjoyed Blind Faith. Ben Elton has obviously been very influenced by the aforementioned novels, but I thought it wasn't completely derivative.

Must read Do Androids Dream. It's on my shelf waiting! My husband has read it and says it is very different to Bladerunner?

I remember also reading books by Marge Piercy and Doris Lessing around the time of my mystery dystopian book, but think they went a bit over my head.

Franup Fri 23-Aug-13 15:21:22

That's the one CoteDAzur. Hate sci fci but loved that! More dystopia I suppose

CoteDAzur Fri 23-Aug-13 15:20:09

Drowned World had the heat wave but man & son travelling sounds more like The Road.

CoteDAzur Fri 23-Aug-13 15:19:21

The Drowned World - J G Ballard ?

monal Fri 23-Aug-13 15:19:19

xposts with PlotTwist!

monal Fri 23-Aug-13 15:18:01

I'm thinking of this

Franup Fri 23-Aug-13 15:17:34

Something by J G Ballard as sure I've read it and now trying to recall the book's name!

monal Fri 23-Aug-13 15:16:54

Doves? I can't remember the name of the bloody book either but I've read it too! How helpful.

PlotTwist Fri 23-Aug-13 15:15:33

Is it The Ice People? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ice_People

CoteDAzur Fri 23-Aug-13 15:15:27

Brave New World is very good, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now