I have bought the new Margaret Atwood!

(27 Posts)
K8Middleton Wed 21-Aug-13 01:51:35

In hardback too (never buy hardbacks). I am very excited because it's the last in the trilogy and I rarely read anything these days. Oryx and Crake and The Year of The Flood are the preceding novels.

Anyone else reading Maddadam?

K8Middleton Fri 30-Aug-13 23:49:57

I think she is very of her time. Early stuff very influenced by first wave feminism and now she's very influenced by concerns about big pharma, big corps, dehumanising, lack of privacy and technology. Some very topical bits in this novel felt a bit shoe-horned in I thought but it's one of my few criticisms.

She's also got an arc of self reflection and introspection through to forecasting and analysing the external world. With the exception perhaps of the two slightly random historical novels that I didn't really think worked (too formulaic) even though they won loads of awards.

I love that she has range and variety. Haven't not loved anything I've read by her.

Will have to wait for paperback but I thought O&C and YotF could stand alone...also love that it's been a considerable time she's taken to write the whole trilogy, rather than bashing them all out in 18months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now