Anyone else read Perfect by Rachel Joyce...

(8 Posts)
GreenShadow Sat 15-Feb-14 17:25:06

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but it seemed pointless to start a new one.

I have just finished this book and loved it. Yes, at times you want to shake all of the main characters, but I found it very moving.

I also loved that it was set in the 70s when I was growing up (in fact I must be almost exactly the same age as Byron) although at times it felt as if there was to much of an effort to mention popular toys or food stuff from that era.

I particularly grew to love Paula and Darren - I'm not sure how many young people these days would put themselves out for an older man like they did.

I must also admit to have loved trying to spot local landmarks as we live in the same area as the author and am convinced that the cafe where Jim works is our newly refurbished Sainsburys! She gave a talk locally in the Autumn, but mainly talked about Harold Fry - probably for the best as I don't think all that many people attending had read Perfect yet.

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 20-Aug-13 20:22:31

i was SO hoodwinked until the last minute

i loved the period feel and the 70s style neglectful parenting. WOuld love a prequel about how the abusive marriage started

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 20-Aug-13 18:25:54

Oh, me too, LadyMilfordHaven, but I didn't see the ending coming at all, even with the chapter titled Besley Hall. It really upset me to find out who Jim was, because I so wanted him to have been OK IYSWIM?

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 20-Aug-13 17:42:32

i loved it!

exoticfruits Mon 19-Aug-13 21:42:37

I will try it then and keep off the thread as I don't want to spoil it.

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 19-Aug-13 19:49:22

I would thoroughly recommend it. Don't want to say too much! I loved Harold Fry and liked this even more, although the two books are totally different. Hope you enjoy it.

exoticfruits Mon 19-Aug-13 19:06:23

Not yet -but do I assume that you would recommend it? I enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 19-Aug-13 18:44:47

..desperate to discuss with someone and don't know anyone in RL who's finished it!! This has stayed with me long after finishing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now