Spooky books recommendations please

(43 Posts)
Beechview Sat 20-Jul-13 18:10:01

I've decided to join in with the kids library challenge to get me back into reading (too much time spent online sad)

I don't mind horror but I love a good spooky ghost story.

Any ideas?

greenhill Sun 28-Jul-13 13:47:50

Thanks, I've downloaded Turtle Boy. smile

This M R James download is 34 p on Amazon and contains 30 stories.

www.amazon.co.uk/The-M-R-James-Megapack-ebook/dp/B00C5W6GZE/ref=pd_sim_kinc_31

Mrsrobertduvall Sun 28-Jul-13 14:03:10

It's a very short book!
Does anyone want it?
Am happy to post if you pm me.

I was going to say! grin I don't think recommended is quite right - the first few chapters scared the poo out of me, and I never have finished it - I think there are sequels to it too, if anyone does finish and enjoy it - if they aren't out yet then the author is writing them iirc...

runawaysimba Mon 29-Jul-13 01:55:05

I loved "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger; really spooky. Great ending, too.

Galaxymum Tue 30-Jul-13 14:21:15

I just read Time's Echo by Pamela Hartshorne. This is a timeslip novel and I found it quite spooky with some powerful haunting scenes. It's set in modern and Elizabethan York with a strong story and the timeslip is very psychological. A great read.

marilynmonroe Sun 11-Aug-13 11:15:20

I've just finished dolly by Susan hill. Very ghostly. And short.

greenhill Sun 11-Aug-13 13:30:04

If anyone has a spare hour to listen to an afternoon play, try Wilkie Collin's The Haunted Hotel on iPlayer.

60 minutes ironing passed very quickly.

spex11 Tue 13-Aug-13 21:09:13

This one's spooky in a very believable kinda way which makes it more scary! Good story too
www.amazon.co.uk/The-Past-Lies-Waiting-ebook/dp/B00CHSZNMI/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

Beechview Mon 26-Aug-13 17:08:09

Pombear you are such a wuss smile Turtle boy was not scary.

Greenhill I really wanted to listen to that play but its not on iplayer anymore sad

I picked up This House is Haunted by John Boyne when we were in the library. I don't normally get books for myself from the library as I always end up paying huge fines (thank goodness the kids books fines are low) but this was just sitting on the shelf so I picked it up. It looks good.

greenhill Mon 26-Aug-13 17:15:51

Don't forget you can renew your library books online beechview I tend to do this when I take mine out.

Nothing seems to stay very long on iPlayer, I find it quite frustrating for that reason.

racingheart Mon 26-Aug-13 22:16:38

Also Beyond black by Hilary Mantel which is spooky in a different way but very believable if you like ghost stories.

SugarMouse1 Thu 19-Sep-13 17:26:41

The Edgar Allan Poe stories

DuchessofMalfi Thu 19-Sep-13 18:08:50

DH loves reading spooky ghost stories. He's reading Florence and Giles at the moment, which he says is getting very creepy.

JonesH Fri 20-Sep-13 09:45:38

The Shining, a classic.

SecretSpi Fri 20-Sep-13 18:17:03

I enjoyed The Seance by John Harwood. More a Victorian mystery than a ghost story as such but very atmospheric and quite spooky.

curlew Fri 20-Sep-13 18:22:21

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver.
Scared the bejesus out of me.....

ScarerAndFuck Mon 30-Sep-13 17:38:27

I liked Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. A faded rock star buys a ghost on the internet and very quickly regrets it.

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons is one of my favourites. It's not a ghost story as such but it has some very creepy happenings when a new house is built on a vacant lot.

Bag of Bones by Stephen King is a good ghost story, although the first time I read it I didn't think so. I was wrong though, it's very good.

M0naLisa Sat 05-Oct-13 08:17:25

362 belisle st isn't available on kindle :-(
Going to look at some of those Jonathon aycliffe books now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now