incident at the Fingerpost

(11 Posts)
carlajean Fri 12-Jul-13 06:51:49

I'm really struggling with this - does it become more interesting?

Mockingcurl Fri 12-Jul-13 13:50:16

I read it years ago. I struggled with it. I think I might need to read it again as I don't think I really understood it. Sorryhmm

WizardofOs Fri 12-Jul-13 13:54:15

Do you mean Incidence of the Fingerpost? If so, I loved it and have read it twice but it was years ago.

EasterHoliday Fri 12-Jul-13 13:56:02

i LOVED that book... yes it does pick up (depending on what stage you've got to of course) on the strength of it, went out and bought a few more Iain Pears but found them so dense as to be dull as dishwater & unreadable. I think his writing style is "wordy" but the story was v exciting on Fingerpost.

ParsingFancy Fri 12-Jul-13 14:00:41

An Instance of the Fingerpost.

Yes, yes, I adored this book too! And shall now go and reread it because you've reminded me!

But I don't remember it becoming easier to get into as it goes along. So if you don't like it so far, that may not change.

Allalonenow Fri 12-Jul-13 14:00:50

Oh yes a wonderful book, really gripping plot, will repay your efforts I'm sure.

valiumredhead Fri 12-Jul-13 14:54:16

I read it a long time ago but can't remember anything about it

KurriKurri Fri 12-Jul-13 17:40:02

I started this a while ago - having heard lots of people on here say it was good. I really struggled and then gave up - I may give it another go - I hate it when people say a book is good and then it defeats me! - I want to enjoy it too grin

carlajean Fri 12-Jul-13 18:39:13

Thanks all, I'll persevere

I finished it, but didn't like it much. I was very disappointed, because it seemed to be exactly my sort of thing but I thought it was horribly over-written, a bit try hard and a bit clunky.

I read, 'Stone's Fall' too in order to give him another chance. But that was even more clunky and you can see the twist coming from several hundred pages away, wearing a head-torch and screaming, 'Hey, you! Over here! Have you noticed me yet?'

NomNomDePlum Mon 15-Jul-13 21:07:47

the only thing i can remember about this is that i really enjoyed it. also liked the dream of scipio. i thought stone's fall was a bit clumsy, though. the other things he's written are utter froth - art history/detective novels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now