Zadie Smith NW.

(10 Posts)
sammisatt Tue 09-Jul-13 19:40:35

Has anyone read this? I'd love to know your thoughts. I wasn't expecting to like it as I'm not a big fan but it was actually a really good read in the end.

scottishmummy Tue 09-Jul-13 19:41:59

I have just started will revisit in few weeks
Like her other books

kikidee Tue 09-Jul-13 22:51:24

I'm about half way through and really enjoying it so far. Liking it much more than On Beauty. Will report back.

scottishmummy Tue 09-Jul-13 22:53:39

Thanks,starting will report back too

hackmum Wed 10-Jul-13 17:17:44

I am a fan, and I quite liked it. Didn't enjoy it as much as her others. The bittiness of it made it less satisfying.

sammisatt Wed 10-Jul-13 20:12:59

Hack mum. I agree to a certain extent. At the beginning there were bits that seemed about pretentious and Virginia Wolf like. Then she'd move from that to just observing. Thats when I thought she was brilliant. The scene on the tube was spot on. She is brilliant a creating a sense of place and the characters that are its product.

Galaxymum Thu 11-Jul-13 12:26:10

I just picked it up at the library today - I will report back when I've read it. I've never read Zadie Smith's books so this will be a new experience and no idea what to expect to be honest but I liked the book's concept when I read it.

teatimesthree Thu 11-Jul-13 17:10:59

I really liked it, and thought it was better than On Beauty. It was refreshing to see a woman in her thirties writing something 'serious'. I thought the bits about NW London were very good - I don't live in London but a lot of it rang true about the city where I live. Sammisatt is spot on about her sense of place.

blueskymum Fri 12-Jul-13 15:10:08

Hi, really liked it and scenes have 'stayed with me' if you know what I mean. She captured each place accurately and the dialogue was so realistic and rang true. Truly talented.

'On beauty' is still my favourite though. I read an interview where someone asked why she hasn't written anything for ages. I'd rather have the long gaps between her books with each one being this good, than a pot boiler every year that's lightweight!

kikidee Thu 18-Jul-13 06:29:58

Just finished it and thought it was very good. She writes dialogue very well and I really enjoyed her observations on class. I've read White Teeth and On Beauty and it's the one I've enjoyed most so far. I don't know if that's because I'm around the same age as Leah and Natalie in the book and a lot of it rang true. I read Capital earlier in the year which is similar but a lot less personal and so I preferred NW.

Quite surprised by how much I liked it actually and I think I'll go back and reread White Teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now