Novels about / set in Thailand

(9 Posts)
MerlinFromCamelot Sun 21-Jul-13 15:07:18

Everyone burns by John Dolan. Read a sample on kindle & put it on my list.

valiumredhead Thu 18-Jul-13 22:21:43

The Beach is a great read.

bassetfeet Tue 09-Jul-13 22:55:49

That's a great website trip fiction. Nice idea.

I was going to say the beach.

If friend likes erotic fiction (!) tabitha flyte's the hottest place is set in Thailand.

TerribleTantrums Wed 03-Jul-13 15:54:42

Colin Cotterill books are crime/mystery books set in Thailand. The Jimm Juree series features a female journalist who has moved with her family from Bangkok to a small, run-down hotel in a remote area. I really enjoy them, but they are a light read rather than a serious one.

schmalex Wed 03-Jul-13 15:48:50

How about The Beach by Alex Garland?

tripfiction Wed 03-Jul-13 08:41:59

Hi PeggyGuggenheim

Fieldwork is a great read. Definitely.

I have over 50 titles set across Thailand - the link is here:
www.tripfiction.com/Search?Location=Thailand

Thai Girl is reasonably interesting, a light read about a couple backpacking across the islands and gives a bit of insight into life there tripfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/novel-set-in-Thailand.html

Most books by Jake Needham, Christopher G Moore and John Burdett are set there.

if you want to be location specific then these are titles for the Koh Phi Phi area: tripfiction.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Thailand%20%28Koh%20Phi%20Phi
Phuket - 3 novels www.tripfiction.com/Search?Location=Phuket
Bangkok - www.tripfiction.com/Search?Location=Bangkok

hope that gets you started!

MarjorieAntrobus Wed 03-Jul-13 00:30:31

I liked Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski, a first novel set in Thailand and told through the voice of a fictional anthropologist. This is the author's website here and this is the Amazon link here.

PeggyGuggenheim Tue 02-Jul-13 23:43:04

This is a last-minute brain wave for a birthday present for a dear friend of mine. She is planning a once in a lifetime trip to Thailand later in the year. I'm really struggling to think of something and it's her birthday on Thursday! Any ideas for books evocative / informative etc. She's a keen reader. Thank you !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now