Well-written chick lit?

(56 Posts)
mimolette Fri 28-Jun-13 09:28:03

Please don't flame me, but am after some easy reading! Can anyone recommend any well-written, not too cringey chick lit (or even mum lit)?
Or anything easy going and funny (eg really loved The Common Reader)?

superbagpuss Fri 28-Jun-13 09:31:20

some of Sophie kisella books are easy reading
the time travellers wife

jungletoes Fri 28-Jun-13 09:36:18

I've always loved Fay Weldon.

tripfiction Fri 28-Jun-13 12:46:43

Really like:

Veronica Henry (she has a new book out shortly set on the Orient Express)

Michelle Jackson
Carole Matthews
Kate Kerrigan

Hope you find something you like!

MarianForrester Fri 28-Jun-13 12:49:04

The Trials of Tiffany Trott by Isabel Wolffe.

Really funny light reading

DuchessofMalfi Fri 28-Jun-13 12:53:19

I don't know what defines a book as chick-lit really, but some books I've enjoyed recently have been The Innocents by Francesca Segal (a modern take on The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton), Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann, and This Is How It Ends by Kathleen MacMahon.

I'm currently about half way through The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman, which is very good. It's set during WW2 and the Nazi Occupation of Czechoslovakia. I don't want to give away too much but it's pretty sad though.

burberryqueen Fri 28-Jun-13 13:00:21

The Camomile Lawn - Mary Wesley

Nepotism Fri 28-Jun-13 13:02:37

India Knight's first couple of books.

StickyProblem Fri 28-Jun-13 13:03:15

Marion Keyes. Shouldn't really be called chick lit, it's like modern Tolstoy! Rachel's Holiday, The Other Side of the Story, and the latest one (can't remember) are the best, although if you read the whole lot in order you'll get to know the whole Walsh family and enjoy them more.

devilinside Fri 28-Jun-13 13:22:12

I second Veronica henry, also Lesley Lokko

SkiBumMum Fri 28-Jun-13 13:30:18

Jojo Moyes is good

I like Jojo Moyes and Emily Barr - easy reading but a bit more to it than most chick lit. Emily Barr stuff has got a bit samey but I loved Backpack and Baggage in particular.

Also try Douglas Kennedy - his books are normally pretty light reading but still well written.

superbagpuss Fri 28-Jun-13 13:39:57

Emily Barr is very good

mimolette Fri 28-Jun-13 15:37:10

Thank you, everyone - off on to amazon now smile

eurozammo Fri 28-Jun-13 15:39:35

Polly Williams and Marion Keyes are my faves.

I love all of Sophie kinsellas shopaholic series. Also the lindsey Kelk I heart series are brilliant.

BOF Fri 28-Jun-13 16:43:34

I've just read This Is Where I Leave You, by Jonathan Tropper, which is a great easy but thoughtful and funny read. If you enjoyed The Silver Linings Playbook or David Nicholls/Nick Hornby stuff, you'll love this. I know they are male authors, but I maintain that they basically write chicklit, even if they get taken more seriously than women who write humorously about love and family.

JessieMcJessie Sat 29-Jun-13 07:09:16

Lucy Dillon.

Alfonso1 Sat 29-Jun-13 08:58:35

Second Marion Keyes and I recently read and liked Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

tumbletumble Sat 29-Jun-13 16:39:41

I like Penelope Lively and Anne Tyler

phoenixfox Sun 30-Jun-13 00:04:48

Catherine Alliott, Catherine Alliott, Catherine Alliott! The best and funniest chick lit ever! Personal favourites are Rosie meadows regrets, Olivia's luck and a married man. I keep giving Rosie meadows regrets away to people and then having to buy it again to reread it.

GW297 Sun 30-Jun-13 00:12:01

Definitely Marion Keyes. I've also just read Sophie Kinsella's Wedding Night and enjoyed it.

Yes to Silver Linings Playbook and Marian Keyes.

Definitely check out Douglas Kennedy, The Pursuit of Happiness. I love it. Also Kate Morton, Amor Towles and if you want proper chick lit Jenny Colgan.

DramaAlpaca Sun 30-Jun-13 00:33:55

Cathy Kelly. A bit formulaic but always a nice, light read.

highlandcoo Sun 30-Jun-13 09:49:37

I generally avoid chick lit but I do like Marian Keyes for her sense of humour, Rosie Thomas - Other People's Marriages is really well-written - Douglas Kennedy and Mary Wesley.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now