Any other Neil Gaiman fans? The Ocean at the End of the Lane is out next week

(35 Posts)
Dunlurking Wed 12-Jun-13 15:53:04

Who's looking forward to this?

I'm ridiculously excited. It's his first adult book since 2005. There was an extract in the guardian this week www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/10/extract-ocean-end-lane-neil-gaiman

My favourite is American Gods, and I think I have all his books that are straight novels, but none of his graphic novels. Should I be trying them? Which would you suggest?

I'm excited. I'm quite new to his books so have been racing through them all. Last week I finished The Graveyard Book & Coraline, started American Gods this week.

I would also be interested in knowing if his graphic novels are worth a read, especially as its not something I would usually pick.

Dunlurking Thu 13-Jun-13 06:18:22

Ooh you've given me an idea tillyfernackerpants. Think I will have a race through reread of some of his old ones. Going to start with Good Omens - Neil Gaiman AND Terry Pratchet, what more could you want!

Dunlurking Thu 13-Jun-13 06:19:37

Terry Pratchett even!

Elasticsong Thu 13-Jun-13 06:34:02

You should have a go at the Sandman - if you don't get along with the graphic novel style, you can always admire Dave McKean's darkly gorgeous cover designs. I loved reading these (nearly 20 years ago -ouch).

marissab Thu 13-Jun-13 14:58:40

Yep the sandman novels are acesmile

Good Omens I read as a teenager but never twigged until recently it was a Neil Gaiman book blush. A friend posted this on FB the other week -if only lol!

Will definitely give the Sandman books a try, thank you.

I love American Gods as well.

Also love Neverwhere - is that for adults? Didn't like Stardust though - one of the only films I have preferred to the book (that and Cloud Atlas).

Dunlurking Sat 15-Jun-13 07:28:22

Thanks for the tip about the Sandman Elasticsong and marissab, I shall get onto our library's website to put a request in.

I agree with you about Stardust JackieTheFart, but maybe it was because I saw the film before reading it, which I never like doing.

pod3030 Sat 15-Jun-13 07:33:07

ooh yes i second Neverwhere. it was on r4 as a play (with benedict cumberbutch orhoweveryouspellit ) looking forward to Ocean. I got a bit lost with Sandman, remembering all the characters and threads of narrative.

weebarra Sat 15-Jun-13 07:41:20

Really looking forward to it. Have been to see him a couple of times at the Edinburgh book festival too. I've got the new one on pre-order but have to resist reading it till I go on holiday on the 27th!

Neil Gaiman is my favourite ever author and Neverwhere my favourite book since I was 15 and got it after watching the BBC series (which I now have on DVD!). Am awake extra early awaiting my Amazon pre-order! Yeah, you could say I'm a bit of a fan smile

What the...?

Just got home having had to leave pre-post arriving. No delivery, no book! Just checked my Amazon account and the delivery estimate is actually 22nd June. Idk why I assumed it would be arriving on release day now, feel a bit of an idiot! I ordered it in March and have been thinking about it ever since so I'm sure I can manage another few days (oh, and after this build up it HAS to be magnificent!).

Also for those who mentioned graphic novels, I tend to get a bit lost with Sandman but loved these two also by Neil Gaiman:
The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of My Punch, and
Death: The High Cost of Living.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 18-Jun-13 15:07:51

After hearing some reviews and seeing Gaiman interviewed, I'm wondering why I've not read anything by him except - on account of it being also a TP book - Good Omens. Which one should I start with - American Gods? (I've got to finish Long Earth first)

Also, my 14yo DD still enjoys me reading a book at bedtime - mostly I'm working through discworld at the moment but sounds like there might be some of Gaiman's aimed at younger readers which might be a nice change - any recommendations please?

(sorry, bit of a hijack but fans of an author usually enjoy sharing smile)

Dunlurking Tue 18-Jun-13 16:24:25

Thanks for the tips on the graphic novels ManateeEquineOHara. Sorry you haven't had your copy arrive. I've ordered mine from the library while I watch the kindle price until I succumb to temptation blush

GrimmaTheNome I liked American Gods the best - it's won loads of popular vote awards. I also like The Graveyard Book, which is for younger readers. The protagonist starts as a small boy and the book finishes with him as a "youth" of "about 15". You have a treat ahead smile

Grimma - I started with Neverwhere but American Gods is brill too! I loved reading the Graveyard book and Coraline to my dcs. I also read them Stardust but left out the Dunstan/Una sex part!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 18-Jun-13 18:14:07

thanksthanks
Off to Amazon smile

It's arrived! So far I can only confirm it smells like a lovely new book! smile

chirpchirp Fri 21-Jun-13 22:12:54

The Edinburgh book festival programme has just been released and as well as doing a talk on his new book he's also doing on on the Sandman graphics. Wish me luck on the tickets front!

Slubberdelatrinae Sun 23-Jun-13 19:51:28

Finished it today. Loved it, just loved it. Beautiful and terrifying and much left to the imagination.

Iaintdunnuffink Sun 23-Jun-13 20:53:31

I lived The Sandman as a young adult.

I'm trying to pace myself, 8 years between adult novel releases means reading a new Neil Gaiman book is an experience to savour!
Only on chapter 4, so far it seems very different from Neverwhere/American Gods/Anansi Boys (although there are moments of that kind of story, and I think it may just be how it has started), it is a very beautiful read so far, and I love the moments of ordinary life meeting fantasy/magic which is what I love best about Neil Gaiman.

And Chirpchirp - good luck, I would LOVE to be going! Totally wrong end of the UK for me though!

chirpchirp Mon 24-Jun-13 10:45:09

Thanks Manatee, Tickets go on sale Friday morning. If I can tickets to one of his shows I'll be a happy girl. If I can get tickets to the Banks tribute I'll be a some kind of magician!

I managed to get in quite early with my library reservation, so TOATEOTL arrived at the end of last week (only cost me 60p! smile)

I really liked it. Although short, it is very much a perfectly formed, complete story. I thought it read more like a YA novel than adult literature, but that's not a negative thing.

NG is very good at describing the helplessness of a child facing the whims of an abusive adult 'care'-giver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now