Russian literature or books based in Russia

(58 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 07-Jun-13 18:07:35

I have a particular course of study coming up in Russian history from about 1891-1991. The lecturer in the past has referred to works of literature to illustrate points, so Madame Bovary for example to illustrate French provincial life, The Leopard to depict the Italian nobility at unification.

The only thing that has sprung to mind is Doctor Zchivago, which I have read before but could probably re-read.

Pennyink Mon 09-Sep-13 22:38:43

If you like books on Russia, try my partner's new novel, Devil's Acre by Jonathan Bastable. He's a Russophile and writer (he was a correspondent in Moscow for the Sunday Times) during The Yeltsin years. He got me to read The Master and Margarita within weeks of our meeting...

amzn.to/14nHsz0

It's part love-story/part history. Currently on Kindle but should be out in paperback/on the iPad soon. Be so great to know what the mumsnetting Russian-novel readers think!

CircassianLeyla Mon 09-Sep-13 22:46:48

Ohhhh how exciting. Will definitely give that a go.

Pennyink Tue 10-Sep-13 09:29:33

Thank you! I read it before we got together and loved it!

elkiedee Tue 01-Oct-13 02:10:30

Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate - set during WWII but about that and so much more

Victor Serge's memoir and his novels - several have been reprinted by NYRB recently

Helen Dunmore, The Siege is a great historical novel, but the first two were actually there observing what they wrote about. Sarah Quigley's The Conductor is another take on the Siege of Leningrad.

BelleOfTheBorstal Tue 01-Oct-13 02:35:04

Edward Docx Self-Help. Fabulous book.

bemybebe Tue 01-Oct-13 02:49:02

The Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov
Master and Margarita is a must

bemybebe Tue 01-Oct-13 02:53:45

ah, and The Bison: A Novel about the Scientist Who Defied Stalin by Granin

AnneWentworth Sun 12-Jan-14 17:14:41

Resurrecting my own thread. Adding The Foundation Pit by Andrey Platonov - just brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now