How much attention do you pay to the title of a book?!

(10 Posts)
FarleyD Sun 19-May-13 21:36:37

Sounds like a strange question I know, but I never remember what the books I've read are called. And I should, because the author has undoubtedly gone to some trouble to think of a suitable/fitting title.

rabbitlady Sun 19-May-13 22:02:21

i hardly ever read nowadays but when i listened to music, i never knew the name of the song or the album.

juneybean Sun 19-May-13 23:25:01

I record every thing on goodreads so I know what I've read over the past couple of years.

SarahAndFuck Mon 20-May-13 21:04:43

I do forget sometimes, especially with Kindle books. I forget the title and the author.

But I'm on Library Thing and am logging everything on there, with a brief summary, so I can always go back and check.

CoteDAzur Mon 20-May-13 23:09:03

If you don't remember the books you have read, that could mean they were forgettable.

SarahAndFuck Mon 20-May-13 23:17:45

It's not so much the stories as the titles and author names.

I'm usually very good with the actual details of the story. Library Thing have a Name That book Group, Goodreads probably has similar, and I was told I'd almost re-written the novel whose name I couldn't remember, I'd put in so much detail.

It's a bit like names and faces, I often remember one but not the other.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 21-May-13 08:43:25

I'm pretty good at remembering book titles and covers, and the story but I have terrible trouble remembering people's names and faces. I suppose that says it all about me grin

tripfiction Tue 21-May-13 10:46:55

I can always remember a cover, but less so the title. It's interesting isn't it, that there is a sense that "titles" are often forgotten, which is a shame, because I guess the author (or their publisher) will have gone to a lot of trouble. And it will be the cover that entices me to purchase, never the title, unless it's super quirky like: Clash of Civilisations over an elevator in Piazza Vittorio (set in Rome..) (which is a good read, BTW smile)

FarleyD Tue 21-May-13 22:21:43

I can generally remember the plots of the novels, just not the titles, and since I guess most titles are significant to the plot in some way, I feel a bit guilty! As tripfiction says, the author/publisher will probably have given the title a lot of thought. Good at remembering people's names though (in real life), rubbish at faces, absolutely dire.

LittleMissLucy Wed 22-May-13 00:54:28

I avoid all fiction with words about food in them after that spate of books called things like "a slice of orange" or "chocolate"

Bleugh I say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now