Books about Wales? _ Suggestions please

(23 Posts)
DoctorBrianEarsy Tue 21-May-13 18:54:10

moby dick

i don't know who is by tho soz

Takver Tue 21-May-13 18:43:44

Not a novel, but I liked 'Gwen and the Art of Tractor Maintenance' - mad travel book about a woman who decides when 8 months pregnant to drive a tractor the length of Wales.

BeeBawBabbity Tue 21-May-13 16:42:26

Ambridge yes he is one of my favourites. His characters are so original, and he seems so observant of human nature.

Sam100 Mon 20-May-13 23:22:23

Here be dragons by Sharon Kay penman. An historical novel about the last welsh kings before the first prince of Wales was imposed.

Llareggub Mon 20-May-13 22:29:22

I second the Pamela Petro suggestion. I'd also recommend "Rape of the Fair Country" by Alexander Cordell.

GibberTheMonkey Mon 20-May-13 22:24:54

Bred of heaven by Jasper Rees
Also
Travels in an old tongue by Pamela Petro

Ok, neither quite fit your brief but both definitively worth a read

BikeRunSki Mon 20-May-13 22:01:00

For Snowdonia, definitely "Place of Stones", also "Hill Farm Story". Looks like they are out of print, but there are used ones on Amazon. If you have any young (preschool) DC, try "Owen and the Mountain".

Ambridge Mon 20-May-13 19:23:56

BeeBaw, I love those Gerard Woodward books. He's a wonderful writer.

I know it's a children's book but I have v. fond memories of Carrie's War by Nina Bawden. I'd happily read that again despite being (allegedly) a grown-up!

Also, 'The Hours of the Night' by Sue Gee (set on the Welsh borders) is well worth reading.

tripfiction Mon 20-May-13 10:29:29

Specifically Snowdonia:
Eden's Garden by Juliet Greenwood (part set)
The Detour by Gerbrand Bakker

tripfiction Mon 20-May-13 10:24:37

Specifically Snowdonia:
Eden's Garden by Juliet Greenwood (part set)
The Detour by Gerbrand Bakker

DuchessofMalfi Mon 20-May-13 09:27:04

How about The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies? It's set in Snowdonia. I read it a few years ago. It's a curious novel, not sure if I liked it but it's worth a read.

Cuddledup Mon 20-May-13 06:42:04

WOW - a brilliant selection - thank you.
BIke we're going to south Snowdonia - if that helps.

Thanks again
C

CelticPromise Sun 19-May-13 22:25:08

Aberystwyth Mon Amour and sequels- have only read the first but it was good.

Have also recently enjoyed a collection of short stories called Safe World Gone.

LaChaiseVerte Sun 19-May-13 21:24:04

Second Resistance!

Also, I still love the Snow Spider trilogy (children's fiction). Oh, and Carrie's War.

OddSockMonster Sun 19-May-13 21:21:12

The Bank Manager and The Holy Grail - I found it amusing.

BikeRunSki Sun 19-May-13 21:13:26

Whereabouts in Wales are you going, we could help you find something local to there. Wales is a big place!

On the Black Hill is a brilliant book. It is set in S Wales on the Herefordshire border. Actually, read it wherever you are going!

BehindTheScenesAtTheMumseum Sun 19-May-13 21:12:40

The Earth Hums in B Flat and Blow on a Dead Man's Embers by Mari Strachan.

BikeRunSki Sun 19-May-13 21:10:44

Place of Stones - Ruth Nanette Ruck

BeeBawBabbity Sun 19-May-13 21:09:02

August, by Gerard Woodward. It's the first book in a fabulous trilogy. In this first one the disfunctional family go camping in Wales.

Also good is a book called Eve Green, a coming of age novel about a girl growing up on rural Wales.

AuntieBrenda Sun 19-May-13 21:06:49

Resistance - Owen sheers
Anything by catrin collier

BigcatLittlecat Sun 19-May-13 21:05:09

How green was my valley.

stubbornstains Sun 19-May-13 21:04:10

On the Black Hill- Bruce Chatwin

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog-Dylan Thomas

Cuddledup Sun 19-May-13 20:58:58

Can anyone suggest any good novels about Wales / set in Wales? (We're off for a week's holiday there next week and I need some good reading matter)

Thanks v much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now