What shall I read next?

(14 Posts)
Feathered Tue 23-Apr-13 18:25:15

Hello!
I'm about to finish "The Paris Wife"
Before that I read Patrick Gale's An ordinary man (Is that the title? . . brain in a sorry state due to domestic slavery)
I also read "The House at Riverton.
Loved them all . . .
So I'm wondering what to read next? Any thoughts?
Nothing too depressing!
Thanks!

DuchessofMalfi Tue 23-Apr-13 18:35:40

How about some more Patrick Gale? There's quite a few to choose from. And Kate Morton's got several books out too - The Secret Keeper is her latest, and The Forgotten Garden.

If you liked The Paris Wife, which I liked too, you could try The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. Also set in 1920s. And Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (1930s New York), The Great Gatsby - short and very readable (don't be put off that it's a modern classic).

Feathered Tue 23-Apr-13 18:58:48

Great recommendations. Thanks very much!
Will mull them over . . .

valiumredhead Tue 23-Apr-13 21:29:13

The Magpies - a great thriller - easy to read and couldn't put it down!

Samu2 Wed 24-Apr-13 09:32:34

If you like Kate Morton you might also like lucinda Riley, I really enjoyed her books.

Feathered Wed 24-Apr-13 13:47:49

Great . . . more research to do. Will get a cup of tea and have some happy browsing! Thanks!

HeavenlyYoni Thu 25-Apr-13 23:23:55

Kate Atkinson - Case Histories

sprout44 Fri 26-Apr-13 18:50:52

You have to read Patrick Gale's Notes from an exhibition, one of my fav books. Maybe try Victoria Hislop too

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Apr-13 11:51:38

Oh dear Lord, not Victoria Hislop. Please.

Especially not The Island, whatever you do. We read it for our book club were unanimous in our conviction that the publisher must have owed a big debt to her husband (Ian Hislop).

Feathered Sat 27-Apr-13 15:39:53

Yes - I read notes from an exhibition. I loved it.
Read The Island too - ages ago. I found it too emotional because I'd just lost my mum.
Kate Atkinson is on my list. Is case histories a good place to start with her?

DuchessofMalfi Sat 27-Apr-13 18:20:39

I'd start Kate Atkinson's novels with Behind The Scenes At The Museum -superb book.

SarahAndFuck Mon 20-May-13 22:11:01

The Innocents by Francesca Segal was very good OP. She took her inspiration from Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence but set the novel in contemporary London within the Jewish community. Adam and Rachel are newly engaged when her cousin Ellie arrives and shakes Adam's vision of his future.

The House of Silence by Linda Gillard. Gwen is invited to spend Christmas with her boyfriend Alfie's family in a large house in Suffolk (I think). But when she arrives she realises that something odd is going on and that they are hiding a secret.

The Blind Assassin - same sort of period as the House at Riverton and the added bonus of being Margaret Atwood.

Also The Chamomile Lawn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now