to think that Amy March is one of the most irritating literary characters ever.

(324 Posts)
squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 17:22:03

God she annoys me, throwing Jo's book in the fire, being a general brat and then sin of sins marrying Laurie when she had no business do any such thing.

I don't care what the subsequent books may say the Amy/Laurie union was a stupid idea.

They should have left her to drown in the icy river.

squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 18:06:12

I'm going to have to re-read, I have no recollection of John at all.

Yeeees ... I know what you're saying remus, I can see that it is him wanting his house in order and a trophy wife, but I've got to admit my heart doesn't exactly bleed for him for those reasons. What bugs me is the way that he is utterly humourless about it, and Alcott does make you feel sorry for Meg.

It's different from the bit where Amy plans a party and it all goes wrong because she tried to be rich and isn't - that chapter is quite funny and you can properly laugh at Amy and also feel a bit judgy at her. But with Meg trying to feed her husband's friend properly, you just feel sad for her and angry that she doesn't seem to pick herself up afterwards like Amy does, she just sort of accepts she's a bad wife and that's it.

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Sun 21-Apr-13 18:08:08

Amy is irritating, but not as much as Fanny Price, the 'heroine' of Mansfield Park!

Doesn't stand up for herself at all and way too timid for a lead character. Why she still wants her bloke after his been hopelessly in love/infatuated with another woman is beyond me.

Oh Seeker sad

squoosh - I have a fat, bearded, penniless foreigner. Not a prof, sadly. But close. grin

Mumof3men Sun 21-Apr-13 18:09:37

oh Seeker, sob

Bloodybridget Sun 21-Apr-13 18:10:59

@Squoosh - I don't agree about Katy (in What Katy Did). After the accident, under saintly Cousin Helen's influence, she does get much too good, but before that she's delightfully naughty and lively. In fact, I love the way the children are depicted in the first few chapters; quarrelling, calling each other names, playing games seen by other children's parents as so dangerous that playdates are forbidden. And what about Katy losing her bonnet over the wall of the neighbouring school and climbing over to get it?

squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 18:11:11

LRD get him to change his name by deed poll to Prof and you're all sorted!

I don't remember Meg accepting herself as a bad wife - I thought they had a chat and were able to laugh about it? Need to re-read now.

Fanny Price is a prig - and Fanny Price played by Billie Piper is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen on television (including Keith Chegwin naked). With every re-read of MP I like Henry Crawford more and more.

Tempting, squoosh.

I loe this thread btw. smile

I agree with bridget about the first few chapters of What Katy Did.

Fanny Price played by Billie Piper?! shock

That's wrong, wrong, wrong.

squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 18:14:37

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Katy, it's the accident part that always stick in my mind though. I liked her sister, Clover (?)and the girl they made friends with in boarding school, Rose Red, she had a bit of spirit.

squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 18:14:57

Fanny Price was indeed a fanny.

squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 18:16:37

'Fanny Price played by Billie Piper is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen on television (including Keith Chegwin naked)'

grin grin grin

There's a whole sequel about Clover. It's nuts.

GreenEggsAndNichts Sun 21-Apr-13 18:25:28

I recall when I married DH (German, lecturer), a good friend from home nodded sagely and said "Jo married the German professor."

I love the book. I'm rather Jo-ish. I've never seen one of the films, though, and it seems as if I'm better for it. smile

alistron1 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:25:28

Oh seeker, how dare you post that bloody bit!! I sobbed at Johns death/funeral in Little Men.

EmpressOfThe7OceansLovesMN Sun 21-Apr-13 18:25:46

Five Katy books altogether I think, they're all free on Kindle.

grin

I like that green.

Does anyone else find the storyline with Dan sadder? I get that it's sad Beth dies, but I think she writes the bit with Dan better, she'd got more practice by then.

alistron1 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:28:34

I also sobbed over the bit where Mr Lawrence hears Beth playing the piano and says 'I had a daughter like you...' I'm tearing up just thinking about it ;)

Mr Lawrence is a great character.

alistron1 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:30:03

I think the bit in Little Men where Dan is tamed + the bit in Jo's Boys where he goes to chokey + redeems himself are very moving.

alistron1 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:31:37

As is the bit where Nat goes badways overseas and then redeems himself and comes back to Daisy - I know what I'm going to be re reading this week!!

TwllBach Sun 21-Apr-13 18:32:58

Oh I'd forgotten all about Little Women! It was absolutely my favourite book in the world when I was younger, but hated all the films. I'm going to have to buy it...

SueDoku Sun 21-Apr-13 18:33:17

I remember the feeling when I discovered that the Katie series goes on after 'What Katie did Next' - and found the next two books, 'Clover' and 'In the High Valley'.... Bliss.....! I love books that tell you what happened next..!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now