Restoration Rose Tremain.

(14 Posts)
sprout44 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:32:43

I know this book gets great reviews but i am finding it a bit of a drag. I have never read books set in this time. Not a fan of Phillipa Gregory . Is it worth reading. He is still with his wife and very self indulgent. I do not like him in any way.

highlandcoo Thu 18-Apr-13 18:52:23

I read it ages ago and remember enjoying it although I struggle to recall much of it in detail now. Am planning to to reread it soon though, before buying Merivel, the sequel.

I wouldn't compare RT to Philippa Gregory really - IMO she's a more literary and varied writer. Music and Silence is really good, and for a quite different style of novel I'd recommend The Road Home too.

StephaniePowers Thu 18-Apr-13 18:56:03

I hated it. HTH. Thought it shallow and rather pointless.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 18-Apr-13 21:10:21

I'm currently reading Merivel, the sequel. It's fabulous but then I loved Restoration too.

Music and Silence is IMO Rose Tremain's best book.

sprout44 Fri 19-Apr-13 12:53:53

Thanks, the reason i am going to continue is because i loved The road home and i liked Sacred country and Trespass. He is just not a likeable character, he does seem like a bit of a loser. Its hard to believe Rose Tremain is now 69 and she has had so many novels written before she became so well known.

highlandcoo Fri 19-Apr-13 15:11:01

Interesting that you liked Trespass - that was one of my least favourite of her books. Partly because of the unappealing characters in it too.
I'd persevere with Restoration. It wasn't the main character I particularly liked, but I really enjoyed her evocation of the period.
Incidentally, if you meet RT you would never think she was approaching seventy - she looks, dresses and generally appears about 15 years younger.

LittleMissLucy Sun 21-Apr-13 06:18:03

I read it some time ago - but agree the first section is a bit stale. It does liven up quite a bit when he becomes part of the royal court. And that's when it gets funnier, too. I enjoyed it overall and finished it.

interalia Mon 22-Apr-13 22:41:09

I loved it and it does get better. The bit where he is still with his wife is the kind of 'plateau'. Then everything changes suddenly and gets very different. I found the end v heart-warming

I love that book and the sequel. But if you don't like historical fiction then it may not be for you!

I remember really enjoying it, years and years ago. Sadly, I can now remember precisely nothing about it.

sofi0308 Thu 25-Apr-13 21:01:57

very happy to find this thread, my hub and i rarely read the same books but this is one of his favourites, so maybe i should get the others mentioned here and tickle him back in to my world of fiction..

sofi0308 Thu 25-Apr-13 21:02:28

oh and if you like historical fiction, try m.m. bennetts.

carlajean Fri 26-Apr-13 15:11:11

I love Restoration, but, like everybody says, it perks up substantially once you get beyond the first bit. please persevere, I love it and find the ending very moving. is it meant as a religious allegory at the end by the way?

sprout44 Fri 26-Apr-13 18:46:58

Hi again, I am almost finished it as i have to say it did get so much better. I was going to give up on it as i rarely leave a book unless it really annoys me. Once he met Kathernine and worked with Pearce,he really redemed himself .He is still a strange fella though. I do love Historical fiction but have to admit i have not read anything around this time for years. I like books mostly set in the last century.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now