Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

(17 Posts)

I thought it was a brilliant book smile

sooperdooper Sat 13-Apr-13 09:23:34

I thought it was predictable and badly researched, it really irritated me the way she describes the general publics reaction to Will's condition. Ive got a family member in a similar situation and I'm not saying its not incredibly hard but I've rarely encountered people who are anything other than helpful and supportive when we're out and about.

There's also a daft plot flaw when she says Will's dad only started working at the castle fairly recently in retirement after a high powered career but later says him and his sister played there after closing time as children!

muriel76 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:16:11

I must be completely stupid. I read Me Before You safe in the knowledge that love would overcome, she would change his mind and they would live happily ever after......I was completely shocked by the ending. Not what I would call a chick lit ending tbh. I must be über light weight smile

DuchessofMalfi Sat 13-Apr-13 08:58:23

I have a very low tolerance level for poorly written books and won't finish something that I think is trash.

I read Me Before You and, whilst it isn't great literature (I don't think it even pretends to be) it wasn't that bad. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I really liked it. It isn't quite chick-lit, because it does cover a serious subject, and if you liked the subject matter try Patrick Gale's A Perfectly Good Man which also discusses it.

I'm sticking my head above the parapet here and saying that I think Jojo Moyes wrote a very readable novel, but which isn't to everyone's taste.

Bessie123 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:53:56

It is late. I am not a writer luckily for my potential readers I think i was too harsh so to clarify what i meant: I read all of 'me before you' and it was not shit like that book to do with letters and Yelena, I just found it trashy and lightweight, despite the subject matter. Not my cup of tea would be a politer way to describe it. I can see why people would enjoy it but it was not for me

TheChaoGoesMu Sat 13-Apr-13 01:49:20

I loved it. Sorry. grin

Bessie123 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:48:42

Oh, my post wasn't very clear. I liked the secret life of bees but not me before you

Bessie123 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:47:08

Op, i agree with you. Bloody kindle store recommended this to me because I bought The Secret Life of Bees <hard stare at bartlebee - was that your fault?>

I also found it trashily written and predictable. I hate how the kindle store recommends shit. I have just started reading another book recommended by kindle store for me, called Letters to Yelena, or Letters from Yelena, can't remember. Doesn't matter though because it is completely rubbish also and I will not be reading more than the 15% of the book I have already wasted my time on.

I did really like Mari Strachan's 2 books though.

IrrelevantElephant Sat 13-Apr-13 01:41:36

<timid whisper> I loved it. Bawled my eyes out. Can any of you recommend some equally fantastic shit books so that I know which ones to avoid, obviously?! grin

Bartlebee Sat 13-Apr-13 01:27:29

It was a bit badly written; I spotted a few grammatical errors.

I am reading 'The Secret Life of Bees' now. Again, years after everyone else. I like it so far.

floweryblue Fri 12-Apr-13 23:09:36

Awful book.

How do we get MN Towers to do Best Read/Worst Read lists? Or do we have to just talk to each other.

I'm thinking of the top 100 books for teachers, it was an interesting list but not necessarily a list for adult readers, certainly not a list of recommendations just for adult females.

I felt the same.

It wasn't badly written, it was just a bit trite and predictable.

Bartlebee Fri 12-Apr-13 04:10:06

Aha, another sane one.

I need to quickly read something of quality to purge it from my brain.

Ellisisland Fri 12-Apr-13 03:59:15

Oh I hated that book!

Bartlebee Fri 12-Apr-13 03:50:33

Glad it's not just me!

UnrequitedSkink Fri 12-Apr-13 00:13:22

I KNOW! And so many people seemed to love it!

Bartlebee Thu 11-Apr-13 22:15:41

Just finished it.

What a pile of poop. Predictable, so predictable. My ds asked me what it was about when I was about 20% through. I told him, & also said how I reckoned it would end. I was entirely right.

I can't imagine why I bought it, but I'm quite cross that I did.

Bleurgh. I loathe chick lit.

<wanders off, ranting>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now