Alexander McCall Smith

(11 Posts)
UptoapointLordCopper Mon 08-Apr-13 20:31:47

I read a standalone one - the 2 1/2 pillars of wisdom. It was hilarious.

MrsBartlet Mon 08-Apr-13 11:24:04

My favourites are the Isabel Dalhousie ones followed by Scotland Street. Not so keen on the Corduroy Mansion series.

Lucyellensmum95 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:28:38

I like the dalhousie one, but i sometimes find myself wondering "elitist, mysogynist"? im not sure why

BaconAndAvocado Sun 07-Apr-13 22:21:09

Yes, I have read a few of the detective ones set in Africa.

Tincletoes Sun 07-Apr-13 17:43:12

Well I'd vote for the Scotland St ones - I really like them.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 07-Apr-13 17:39:14

AMS's La's Orchestra Saves the World is a pleasant read. Not part of a series, I think, it's just the one novel.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 07-Apr-13 09:50:42

The Mma Ramotswe ones are the best, although you've probably already read some or all of those Bacon and Avocado

I think the Isobel Dalhousie are the best of his other series, although I didn't find them as interesting. I got very bored of the Corduroy Mansions ones and gave them to a charity shop.

I've read quite a lot of his books too. I think I prefer the Mma Ramotswe series. Cosy and sentimental, with a little twist, a little humour and some pleasant folklore (usually) thrown in.

Not wildly keen on his short stories, and took a while to adjust to the 44 Scotland Street ones. I found the underlying snobbery amusing, but I can see why it could be difficult to stomach. smile

yellowhousewithareddoor Sat 06-Apr-13 23:10:14

I've read a bit of Alexander McCall Smith - I quite like some of the storylines and some interesting characters but I really find the underlying snobbery really difficult. The odd asides about which side of town, type of houses, or assuming because of background people wouldn't know much, judging on bases of income/etc... seems only independently wealthy or very well paid are interesting.

IwoulddoDrWho Sat 06-Apr-13 23:06:23

Oh def Isabel Dalhousie - I love them. But she does spend the whole time musing about things so if that would annoy you, don't.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 06-Apr-13 21:58:33

Considering reading one of the following series:

Corduroy Mansions

44 Scotland Street

Isabel Dalhousie

Anyone got any preferences?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now