Wolf Hall - why can't I get into it?

(63 Posts)
zenoushka Mon 11-Mar-13 11:29:22

This is my second attempt at trying to read Wolf Hall, I've done a bit better and have managed to get myself to page 62 ( the first time I only managed to get to page 44 before I gave up).

My dad and best friend have absolutely raved about it, saying how amazing it is and that I have to stick with it and will realise how good it is. But quite frankly I'm just finding it a slog. At tips or advice? I love reading about the Tudors and am really interested in the period, but the grammar in the Book is really confusing me too...

Galaxymum Fri 10-May-13 11:08:24

This book frustrates me so much because I get stuck at the same point each time I try to read it - after 4 attempts I don't want to be defeated! I love this period of history from studying it at uni (so no, I'm not defeated because I'm thick!) and I love historical accounts and fiction from this era but I just can't cope with Mantel's writing. It bores me. I love this era and the characters and it still never grabs me. The style puts me off. So it remains on my shelf!

Agree - she is not a great writer and needs some serious editing. A shame, as I do think the Cromwell of her vision is interesting, but her writing style gets in the way. I made it to the end of WH (feeling annoyed most of the way through tbh) but won't bother with BUTB.

motherinferior Fri 10-May-13 17:37:31

Oh lord, I thought it was amazing.

motherinferior Fri 10-May-13 17:38:15

You have to stop thinking of it as 'historical fiction'. It's just a really good novel. De-corset your imagination.

poozlepants Fri 10-May-13 17:40:25

Because it is pish.

UltimaThule Fri 10-May-13 17:40:38

The audiobook is utterly fabulous.

LovedayMerryweather Fri 10-May-13 17:51:05

I didn't like it - too dense for me and very confusing with all the Thomases. I think it's not for everyone for sure. If you don't like it I'd stop and read something else, too many books you will like, not enough time to read them all is my attitude smile

I don't really think you are thick confused
Was jesting, sorry.
But the audiobook is amazing grin

UltimaThule Fri 10-May-13 19:00:56

I wanted to marry the bloke who read the audiobook, his wee speech impediment and all.

Does anyone know who will play Cromwell in the upcoming adaptation?

I'd like Alan Rickman.

kelda Fri 10-May-13 19:07:01

I am reading Wolf Hall. Currently on page 185. Am managing about 4 or 5 pages a day, very slow going. I am looking up everything on the internet to try and understand the background - I barely did history at school so haven't got a clue about who is who,

I am determined to finish it, because I am quite enjoying it, even if it is hard going.

UltimaThule Fri 10-May-13 19:08:49

I read it/listened to it and used WIkipedia rather a lot grin Learned loads.

I googled and Mark Rylance is going to play him. So someone with a good pedigree and not, say, Matt Smith or someone totally unsuitable.

Alan Rickman too old, much as I love him - although Alan might at least make me want to watch it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now