Need a book to put on my Kindle for my hospital bag

(9 Posts)
TheCountessOlenska Fri 22-Feb-13 11:45:03

For after childbirth - so not too intellectually demanding! But not Chicklit. Could be spooky/ horror/ psychological thriller or funny, or vampires/zombies (love World War Z for example) . Or any old favourites I may have forgotten about . . .

Never know what's new out as usually just re-read things I've read before or pinch them off my mum.

BabeRuthless Fri 22-Feb-13 12:17:16

There's two Walking Dead novels which are really good. Think they're pretty cheap-ish too.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 22-Feb-13 12:18:22

Fab! Thanks!

FakePlasticLobsters Tue 26-Feb-13 20:33:30

Have you read any of the Adam Nevill books?

I didn't like Apartment 16 but The Ritual and Last Days were both very good.

The Ritual is about a group of hikers who get lost in a remote Swedish forest and realise they are being hunted and picked off by something not quite human.

Last Days is about a documentary film crew hired to investigate a suicide cult and the houses and compounds they lived in. The few surviving ex-cult members have started to die in mysterious circumstances, after claiming they have had a visit from some old friends. Friends who died a long time before.

Otherwise, anything by FG Cottam is fantastic. I love him.

I think my favourite is The Waiting Room, which is about a disused railway station, now on private land, which seems to be haunted by an evil spirit.

But his latest one, Colony, is also very good. It's about a colony in Scotland who one day just vanish from the island they had made their home on. Years later a rich newspaper owner sends a team of experts in varying subjects to investigate the island, and the disappearances and spooky events start all over again.

Lost Souls, about a boat that belonged to a devil worshipper, whose subsequent owners all seem to die violently, is also very good.

And Broadmaw Bay is a bit Wicker Man like in its plot, a family from London move to a village in Cornwall where the locals practice an odd custom.

FakePlasticLobsters Tue 26-Feb-13 20:44:59

Actually, I've muddled up the boat one by FG Cottam. It's actually called Dark Echo. The other one is called The House of Lost Souls and it's about a haunted house which was the site of a violent crime in the 1920's and the modern day investigations into it before the violent deaths start again.

I knew I'd missed one, but I didn't think I'd muddled two of them together.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

Mutt Tue 26-Feb-13 20:48:34

Rosemary's Baby grin

FakePlasticLobsters Tue 26-Feb-13 20:56:13

Have you read Heart-Shaped Box and Horns by Joe Hill? Both of those are very good, although I think HSB is the better one.

HSB is about a fading rock star, Judas Coyne, who sees a ghost for sale on ebay and buys it for his collection of macabre items. A dead man's funeral suit is sent to him in a black heart-shaped box and Jude soon comes to realise that the ghost is no joke and his life is in grave danger.

Horns is about a man accused of murder, who wakes up one day to find he has grown a pair of devil horns. Only he can see them, but they have a strange effect on people, as they suddenly are compelled to tell him the truth, whether he wants to know it or not.

And have you read anything by John Ajvide Lindqvist?

I've read Let The Right One In, which is about vampires. Handling the Undead, which is zombies. Harbour, which has a man searching for his daughter, who vanished without a trace and whose disappearance seems to have stirred up some ghosts. Little Star, which starts with a man finding an abandoned baby, which he then keeps in isolation to turn her into an uncorrupted singer. The last two were the easier reads for me and Harbour is probably my favourite overall. And it has a lot of Smiths lyrics in it, just in case you are a fan smile

And there's a new one out, which is called Let the old dreams die and is a short story collection, apparently containing one that tells you what happens after the ending of Let the Right One In.

TheCountessOlenska Tue 26-Feb-13 22:24:59

Sorry guys, just found this thread again! Thanks so much for suggestions - will have a look. Have read and enjoyed The Colony, LTROI and love Rosemary'sBaby wink So you are all on the right lines thanks smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now