A good read ....

(19 Posts)
babysbreath Mon 18-Feb-13 21:02:12

I have not read a good book since my summer holidays.

I like mystery / thriller type books that are set in the UK.

Can anyone recommend a good read?

cocolepew Mon 18-Feb-13 21:04:18

Peter James
Peter Robinson
Rebus (minds gone blank on author hmm)

UnrequitedSkink Mon 18-Feb-13 21:04:33

Am currently reading Death Comes to Pemberley' by PD James and I'm hooked - it has been written as a sequel to Pride and Prejudice but it's a whodunit. Def recommend.

CJ Sansom's Shardlake series

Poirot!

Geekster Mon 18-Feb-13 22:26:16

Ian Rankin writes the Rebus ones.

cocolepew Mon 18-Feb-13 22:30:45

Thank you Geekster!

CooEeeEldridge Mon 18-Feb-13 22:32:20

I read 'the ice cream girls' by dorothy koomson the other day, really enjoyed it.

CooEeeEldridge Mon 18-Feb-13 22:33:08

Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes is also good.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 19-Feb-13 08:22:20

Belinda Bauer's series of three novels set on Exmoor - Blacklands, Dark Side, and Finders Keepers. Excellent thrillers.

cocolepew Tue 19-Feb-13 10:17:22

Peter May. I do read books by authors not called Peter too hmm.

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 19-Feb-13 13:38:10

Strongly recommend Peter May's Lewis Trilogy - made up of The Blackhouse, The Lewis Man and The Chessmen and unsurprisingly set on Lewis and Harris. His descriptions of the countryside are wonderful and it makes you want to go there at once until you also take into consideration his descriptions of the weather/midges...

babysbreath Tue 19-Feb-13 20:29:57

Thank you for all your suggestions, I am now going to look at what you have mentioned.

CCE I have read the Ice Cream Girls and enjoyed it, plus a couple of her other books.

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 19-Feb-13 20:40:50

I recently discovered Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series, which I really enjoyed.

StaticSockMonster Tue 19-Feb-13 20:42:30

I like books by Beverley Barton and Karen Slaughter.
Might be worth a looksie

Cremolafoam Tue 19-Feb-13 20:51:27

Agree cocolepew Peter may for definite . Can't wait to read the third Fin mcCloud novel.
Also like a bit of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie( not really thrillers tho)
Denise mina and Colin Bateman would also be on my list.

tripfiction Thu 21-Feb-13 20:03:40

Novels set in the UK. Here is a link that will take you to a selection...

http://www.tripfiction.com/Search?Location=United%20Kingdom LOTS to choose from!

pollywollydoodle Sun 24-Feb-13 02:25:12

the DI Tom Thorn books by mark billingham are great...try to read them in order as several strands of the story develop over time

Yama Sun 24-Feb-13 13:36:59

Thanks for the recommendations of the Lewis Trilogy. I have started The Blackhouse and can tell I'm going to enjoy it. smile

Joekate Thu 28-Feb-13 22:48:00

I have just finished Angel Maker by Nick Harkaway and found it a stonking great read - actually sorry I've finished it. It is funny, set in London and is a bit of a thriller. Really would recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now