Erin Kelly The Burning Air

(22 Posts)
MrsBradleyCooper Tue 05-Nov-13 12:32:21

SPOILER Just finished this, and although I loved it all the way through, I found the end a bit disappointing. I was waiting for a huge revelation, that the mother had actually done something major, but it was really not that shocking to me.

lottietiger Wed 30-Oct-13 20:03:21

i really enjoyed this book, unfortunatley i checked the thread too early and found out Darcy was male! I thought it was a page turner and would definitely get the others from the same author. I would have liked a happy ending for Kerry, but i guess happy endings cand be a little hard to come by in real life..

claretandamberforever Sat 19-Oct-13 21:11:54

I loved The Poison Tree.

Yep I thought Darcy was a girl.

have you read any Elizabeth Haynes? she's really good too.

MillyONaire Sat 19-Oct-13 20:47:09

Am I the only one who didn't realise Darcy was male until half way through????
Oh no, girlsmum: you too! So glad I'm not alone in that. I was listening to it on my ipod and assumed that was how I'd missed it. It completely threw me

girlsmum Mon 14-Oct-13 17:21:48

Just finished reading this.

Felt incredibly stupid that I thought Darcy was a girl. I had to go back and re-read bits to see where/how I had missed it.

Enjoyed overall.

mizu Thu 10-Oct-13 21:01:52

I loved this book, liked The Poison Tree too but haven't read her second book as read it wasn't great.

I must be a bit dim as I didn't even realise at first that Darcy being a boy was a twist, I kept looking back to check and then, it finally clicked that the gender wasn't mentioned blush

lottietiger Mon 07-Oct-13 19:52:38

I am about a third through this and racing fast. Definitely a page turner.. Be interesting to see if I get lost in the middle like some of the other posts. I will be back when I have finished reading....

helenajane Fri 04-Oct-13 10:58:26

I couldn't make up my mind about this book, the beginning was good, then i lost it for a while .. (I too, presumed D was female)! I don't like books that make me go back & read bits again & with this one, i found i had to, but even then, doubted whether i had missed something.
Lots of twists & turns, some parts not so convincing, but kept you reading right up to the end.
On the whole, the book is very cleverly written, I think it would make a good drama on TV.

WormCanner Thu 21-Mar-13 23:18:08

I found this hugely disappointing. The Poison Tree was excellent, comparable to Ruth Rendell, and The Sick Rose was also good if not quite up to the same standard.

***Spoiler*****

When an author goes to great lengths to avoid mentioning the gender of a character, it sets off alarm bells with me. So I assumed D was male simply because we were obviously supposed to think the opposite. Twist Fail.

<ignoring spoilers>

I have this on my Kindle Wish list, just need the price to come down and I'm in there!

Loved the Poison Tree....

lemonstartree Wed 20-Feb-13 21:42:52

i LOVED this

*******SPOILER******************

So did Not get that Darcy was male..!

an I too hoped for a happy ending for Felix and Kerry :-)

louloutheshamed Sun 10-Feb-13 16:02:31

Yes i did warm to Kerry at the end

Clawdy Sun 10-Feb-13 13:53:07

Anyone else wanting a happy ending for Felix and Kerry?!

louloutheshamed Sun 10-Feb-13 09:36:59

Yes SPOILER*

Did it take anyone else a while to get the Matt thing, even after he chose it as his name?

And I wasn't convinced about the diary pages being in the jacket pocket- what were the chances really?? Why didn't Rowan burn them??

Cantdothisagain Sun 10-Feb-13 08:59:42

I couldn't put it down, literally - but agree that the end let it down. Loved it until then.

Darkesteyes Sat 09-Feb-13 21:50:05

Ive been trying to get hold of this book. No where is stocking it in my home town so im going to get it off Amazon and have to internet shop for the first time.

Clawdy Sat 09-Feb-13 15:33:37

Just finished it,have to say I couldn't stop reading once I started. There's a major twist in the middle that took my breath away! thought I was pretty good at spotting twists,too! I did have some sympathy with Darcy,though - those MacBrides were a bit annoyingly perfect!

BaconAndAvocado Sun 03-Feb-13 19:43:21

Ooh, fab! Off to look on amazon.

I love this spate of psychological thrillers by brilliant female authors we're having.

louloutheshamed Sun 03-Feb-13 15:57:12

I actually liked the sick rose too. But this one is so clever and gripping although you do have to suspend your disbelief a lot!!

FreddoBaggyMac Sun 03-Feb-13 12:30:14

I have it on my Amazon wishlist - loved The poison tree (although the TV adaptation was dire and ruined it for me a bit). Never read The Sick Rose as I heard it wasn't good, so good to hear the new one is back on form.

vision123 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:55:06

I have read the poison tree and loved it.

Just about to start the sick rose................. so I will put yours on my to get list.

louloutheshamed Sun 03-Feb-13 09:54:47

Just finished this. V gripping like her others, with one of the creepiest characters I have come across.

There was a bit at the end which was vvvv implausible though and was a bit disappointing but good overall.

Anyone else read it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now