A book recommendation to read in hospital please.

(8 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 12-Jan-13 17:12:07

I have short but very intense labours, nothing that G&A won't sort out though. So no books for me smile

SurroundedByBlue Sat 12-Jan-13 12:16:37

Thank you for the recommendations, I am off to amazon to search them out.

I am one of those irritating people that has pretty much pain free labours - sorry blush grin and got bored waiting for the pushing stage the last couple of times so want something to pass the time.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 11-Jan-13 20:48:00

You are going to be reading in labour and afterwards? I admire you grin

Bunbaker Fri 11-Jan-13 18:20:47

I agree with Duchess. I doubt you will get much reading done.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 11-Jan-13 18:14:30

I'd second the Janet Evanovich novels - very funny. And if you like One for the Money, there's a whole series of them.

One word of warning though, I took a book in with me both times, and didn't read a word of it. I only just about managed to flick through a magazine. It was pretty noisy on the ward, lots of comings and goings, constant interruptions etc. I found it too hard to concentrate.

highlandcoo Fri 11-Jan-13 15:09:02

Try Adriana Trigiani. There's her Big Stone Gap series, and stand-alone novels too. Quite cosy and readable - have a look at her website and see what you think.

Best wishes for the baby smile

dinkystinky Fri 11-Jan-13 13:23:10

How about Janet Evananovitch's stephanie plum series? I found One for the Money v easy to read - and didnt require too much concentration.

SurroundedByBlue Fri 11-Jan-13 12:45:34

I want to pack a book in my hospital bag to read during early labour and whilst I'm on the postnatal ward, but its been so long since I bought books that I have no idea what to order from amazon.

I want something that I don't need to concentrate to hard on, can put down and come back to later without having to remind myself of a complicated plot, easy to read, nothing to distressing due to hormones and nothing to gripping as chances are I'll never get chance to finish it.

I used to read Karen Rose but her books lately seem to be rushed and all pretty much the same, feels like she is just throwing them out there whilst they are popular iykwim. Same with James Patterson, used to love them but they got so repetitive and boring.

Occassionally I like to read something girly, like Ps I Love You, Twilight etc

I enjoyed Harry Potter.

I'm looking at 100s of books on amazon and don't know what to buy. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now