Just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern...

(6 Posts)
juniperdewdrop Wed 02-Jan-13 19:39:15

Thanks I've just ordered it from the library. Was looking for a good book smile

overflowingmum Wed 02-Jan-13 19:35:40

I read that a while ago and totally LOVED it. One of those books that I actually wanted to go straight back to the beginning and read it again when I finished (I didnt but will definitely re-read at some point!) It was so totally captivating - just wonderful! grin

scarecrow22 Tue 01-Jan-13 19:35:39

Sounds like we three had similar immersion. I am really very rationalist, bordering on sceptical, but at times I felt I had the power to read tarot! In some ways still do.
I miss the world, but am still resolving whether I took it as literal magic - which I often did in the way you can perform such feats in fictional worlds with enjoyable abandon, but at other times it felt like the magic was being created by my imagination, tricked by the writing, almost, tricked into wanting to or allowing myself to see the magic, which is magical, literally. Does that make sense?
My only slight disappointment was the ending (PLOT SPOILER WARNING FOR CURIOUS WHO HVE NOT YET READ THE BOOK): I felt the author needed to explain or conjure up that half life viz her father better for it not to seem so contrived. If I was being a perfectionist, it was prob 15pc too long too, though overall loved being there.

dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 18:32:00

I read it and loved it a while back. Beautifully written and totally immersive.

Tau Wed 26-Dec-12 11:56:32

I read it a while ago. I loved it. I was gutted when I had finished; I didn't want to leave that world!

scarecrow22 Tue 25-Dec-12 23:28:32

I don't know anybody who has read it and feel a need to "talk" about it. It has been a really enveloping, sometimes disconcertingly believable world. I don't want to say too much, but if you've read it, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now