I need well written easy reads for midnight bfing. Suggestions please!

(22 Posts)
ComradeJing Wed 21-Nov-12 04:17:39

As it says in the title!

I like most things - romance, historical, fantasy, sci-fi - but need some suggestions for uncomplicated but well written books that will get me through the dark hours.

The only thing I don't want is anything grisly - no children's deaths or end of the world stuff please!

Any ideas welcome, right now I'm reading lots of georgette heyer again

TanteRose Wed 21-Nov-12 04:32:27

Me before You

Baking Cakes in Kigali

The Thing around your neck short stories

i am actually reading the new one by Dawn French (coz I promised her on the webchat that I would download it grin) Oh Dear Sylvia

Lavenderhoney Wed 21-Nov-12 05:09:27

Jilly cooper, Sophie kinsella, Marian Keynes? Agatha Christie?

Wearsuncream Sat 24-Nov-12 09:48:04

Caitlin Moran - Moranthology - it's a selection of her articles so perfect to dip in and out of and about the right length too.

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sat 24-Nov-12 09:52:31

Ian Mcewan?

highlandcoo Sat 24-Nov-12 11:16:44

Sue Gee is a lovely writer who deserves to be more widely known. Try The Mysteries of Glass.

I also love the Cazalet chronicles when I'm looking for something easy to read but absorbing. By Elizabeth Jane Howard. The Light Years is the first volume.

cleanandclothed Sat 24-Nov-12 11:22:29

How about something by Michael Palin or David Attenborough? They come in audio books as well which I prefer for night feeds so I can keep my eyes closed!

stookiesackhouse Sat 24-Nov-12 11:33:36

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. Very well written, easy to read, and a great story.

RosannaBanana Sat 24-Nov-12 11:35:10

Anne Tyler- any of her books, she's amazing.

notnowImreading Sat 24-Nov-12 11:48:15

You need the lighter side of the 1930s. Lots of literary tone with a determinedly light outlook (wonder what they were ignoring...)
Elizabeth Jane Howard - The Cazalet Chronicles (first one is The Light Years; these are set in the 30s and 40s but not actually written then)
Elizabeth von Arnim - The Enchanted April, Elizabeth in her German Garden
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Stella Gibbons - Cold Comfort Farm
Dorothy L Sayers - Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, read in order or start with Strong Poison

Seabright Sun 25-Nov-12 09:10:32

I've just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club & it's sequel Knit Too & really enjoyed them. I'm not a knitter & normally read murder stories, but picked up one of these in a book swap & loved it, so got the sequel too. Next I need the three-qual, but it's not on kindle yet.

A Home at the End of the World

Claudine at School (okay, it's not great literature, but it's fun and easy)

A Solitary Blue

ComradeJing Mon 26-Nov-12 00:06:10

You're all BRILLIANT. Thank you so, so much. I'll go on amazon later and have a good look.

I'm sorry it took me so long to come back to the thread - I've been in that twilight of sleeping and feeding so not on MN!

Quirrel the Claudine series are some of my favourite books ever.

NotAnotherPackedLunch Wed 28-Nov-12 23:43:00

Barbara Pym and Elizabeth Taylor might both be worth a look

5Foot5 Fri 30-Nov-12 13:05:06

Anything by Trisha Ashley

Adrian Mole diaries?

ImperialBlether Sat 01-Dec-12 19:56:12

Read Marian Keyes - start with Rachel's Holiday - it's the first book of five about a family of five sisters. Very funny and very moving.

FromEsme Sat 01-Dec-12 20:05:13

The Hunger Games? Very easy to read but good story line.

lurkingfromhome Thu 06-Dec-12 13:04:18

I have recently discovered an author called Clare Chambers and can't believe she hasn't had wider recognition. I think she might be better known for teenage fiction but she has written half a dozen novels for adults that I absolutely loved when I wanted to read something not overly demanding but still a cut above chick lit. Intelligent but accessible. I started with The Editor's Wife then read all the rest one after the other. She has a wry way with words that I found really engaging.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Dec-12 20:32:48

Anything by Alexander McCall smith, the Help is good if you haven't read that and then there is always the Politics of Breastfeeding which is easy to read, informative and has been on kindle recently for 99p smile

Wallison Sat 08-Dec-12 20:38:26

^ Lots of literary tone with a determinedly light outlook

Ooh yes. Agree with all of the suggestions in your post and would only add Edna St Vincent Millay poems, which are just like being with your wittiest smartest friend.

OohMrDarcy Sat 08-Dec-12 20:41:00

I have recently discovered Lesley Pearse - who I am loving

all strong female lead based fiction - generally based in the late 1800's so historical and fascinating !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now