Dominion by C J Sansom

(17 Posts)
DuchessofMalfi Mon 29-Oct-12 08:22:20

I bought a copy of Dominion yesterday. I've never read anything by C J Sansom before, but it looked good. Has anyone else read it yet? Tell me I haven't just wasted my money grin I love a good thriller.

Arisbottle Mon 29-Oct-12 08:23:37

I love C J Sansom books, definitely not a waste of money. I do think the earlier ones are maybe better than the later ones. But maybe I was just excited when I read his first one because I had found a new author I loved.

moonshine Mon 29-Oct-12 12:58:07

I love all his Shardake novels (gutted to have finished the series) and have seen his new one get good reviews.

moonshine Mon 29-Oct-12 12:58:27

Shardlake!

diabolo Mon 29-Oct-12 13:31:58

His only other non-Shardlake novel, Winter in Madrid, wasn't great imo, so I probably won't buy this one and will wait for the next Shardlake instalment next year.

If you enjoy Dominion let me know though, I will be happy to be wrong.

vampirestakeknickers Mon 29-Oct-12 13:35:04

Ooo I was all excited, I thought Dominion was a new Shardlake. Do I really have to wait until next year? Agree Aris the most recent wasn't as good, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 29-Oct-12 14:03:57

Thanks. I hope I like it, as I don't normally buy hardbacks, but this just looked really good. I'm off to investigate Shardlake series now smile

highlandcoo Mon 29-Oct-12 21:18:57

Dominion looks good; I'll be buying it as soon as it's out in paperback.

I enjoyed all the Shardlake novels, and also liked Winter in Madrid. Streets ahead of The Return by Victoria Hislop, which also dealt with the Spanish civil war and loads of people seemed to enjoy confused

I don't know if you've come across Fatherland by Robert Harris, which also deals with an alternative world where the Nazis won in 1945, but is set in Germany. A good easy read.

BeauNeidel Mon 29-Oct-12 22:38:29

I liked Winter in Madrid a lot, and plan on buying Dominion in Feb when it's out in paperback (asked the chap in Waterstones yesterday!) I love the whole idea of the story, plus I'm a nut for WW2 fiction.

Hurry up and read it so we can have a review grin

Ilovemyteddy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:40:04

I'm halfway through Dominion at the moment and loving it. I also love the Shardlake books because I think Sansom combines great historical detail with brilliantly written characters and a cracking story. And IMHO Dominion is just as good as the Shardlakes. What makes it so good is that there is rhe usual page turning story coupled with the whole 'what if' element of Britain surrendering to the Germans after the evacuation at Dunkirk. It's quite chilling to read about how different our lives could be now, and Sansom makes that prospect very real.

Read and enjoy!!

1944girl Thu 01-Nov-12 20:25:27

Another Shardlake coming next year?.That's the best news I've had today!

GeorginaWorsley Thu 01-Nov-12 20:49:12

Ordered it from library and got it today!

Finished Dominion a couple of days ago. It's fantastic - a real page turner.

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 14-Nov-12 16:37:21

ooh, it's only £5.99 on kindle on Amazon but I really didn't like Winter in Madrid even though I like the Shardlakes so would love some more thumbs up (or should that be thumb ups? I never know) from all you discerning MNetters before I commit myself.

Could just do with a good thriller too.

I enjoyed 'Winter In Madrid' and really like the Shardlakes (though agree that the last one wasn't as strong). Will wait for this to come out in paperback or to appear in the library though.

Campaspe Thu 15-Nov-12 19:17:26

I'm half way through Dominion, and would agree wiht the others here that it's gripping and as good as his Shardlake books. I love the 1950s setting. I have to admit to not liking Winter In Madrid, though I'm not sure why.

elkiedee Fri 16-Nov-12 19:52:19

I'm currently reading Winter in Madrid and think it's great, and have bought Dominion - £5.99 is about what I used to pay when books came out in paperback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now