Really scary books please.

(93 Posts)

Pretty much housebound in the short term and last time I asked for book recommendations you lot were fab!

Just finishing up the Shining. read it yonks ago and it is still v. good. So something like that please but not too high brow. Thanks smile

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 22-Mar-12 18:46:43

Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill (Stephen King's son)

The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson. Not out and out horror as such but pretty bleak and with an interesting premise.

The Dome - Stephen King. You will need hankies.

Ramsey Campbell's short stories are chilling, particularly his earlier ones.

iklboo Thu 22-Mar-12 18:46:52

'It' is pretty disturbing (I don't scare easily grin)

Sockspence Thu 22-Mar-12 18:47:56

Domain by James Herbert gave me the proper willies. And not in the good way.

Should have said, I think I've read every SK. Will have fun looking at the others smile

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 22-Mar-12 18:50:14

Pandaemonium, by Christopher Brookmyre is excellent.

I'd forgotten about James Herbert. Bugger, I gave all of my books away.

iklboo Thu 22-Mar-12 19:11:39

Clive Barker's Books of Blood are a good read.

Is world war z any good? Thank you for the ideas so far, struggling to find ones that appeal ATM.

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 22-Mar-12 19:32:05

Haven't read that one, but if you like zombies then David Moody's books are good.

Conflugenglugen Thu 22-Mar-12 19:44:40

Night of the Seventh Darkness by Daniel Easterman <shivers>

Not normally a zombie fan but I did like passage and I am legend so I'm getting more open minded. The David moody books look good!
Night of the seventh darkness seems intriguing. Seems to be out of print.

RunningLatte Thu 22-Mar-12 20:26:17

David Moody books are great.Better than World War Z,I would say.

Also try out J L Bourne and Z A Recht for a good zombie read.

Takes a lot to beat the James Herbert 'The Rats','The Lair','Domain' and others,I'd agree.

Stephen King?

RunningLatte Thu 22-Mar-12 20:27:53

(Sorry,just seen you've done King's books)

Will try the David moody books - thank you!

toldmywrath Thu 22-Mar-12 21:35:33

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. I read it before I even knew about a film being made & it literally made my spine tingle & gave me goose bumps. Thinking ab0ut going to see the film now (not something I usually like to do as a book always seems much better than a film)

toldmywrath Thu 22-Mar-12 21:36:30

And why is the kitten bad bad? Love the name btw!

AwkwardMary Thu 22-Mar-12 21:42:31

Oooh Bag Of Bones by Stephen King....that one's stayed with me for a long time!

Not such a kitten now, but she is still a bad cat ( likes hunting, stalks the others and me. Helps herself to my cups of tea, washes her paws in the water bowl) but she is very affectionate.

Tmw - we saw it at the theatre and tbh didn't find it very scary, just entertaining.

I read a pretty dreadful zombie one recently called (I think) 'Feed.' It wasn't scary but somebody on here might like it. It's zombies in the blogging world, essentially. Dreadfully written but quite amusing in places. 'Pride And Prejudice With Zombies' is ace - but it's comedy not horror.

I liked, 'The Passage' a lot but it wasn't scary.

'The Collector' by John Fowles is v scary and creepy and horrible but it's not anything like 'The Shining.'

Stephen King is the only horror writer I like though, so don't know why I'm on here really. I've been v unimpressed by Joe Hill. Quite liked 'The Gargoyle' which is mentioned down-thread but it's not scary. I really dislike 'The Woman In Black' but thought 'The Woman In White' was terrifying.

The Yellow Wallpaper is scary - but it's not horror.

How about some Poe? Or Dracula?

PepeLePew Thu 22-Mar-12 22:19:48

Mo Hayder is pretty scary. Not fantasy horror, more very disturbing thrillers. Pig Island and Tokyo were particularly traumatic, as I recall.

I do have a copy of Poes works. Not read them since high school!
I will look at the other books, thank you!

Erebus by Shaun Hutson is the scariest book I ever read, not sure why, it's pretty typical SH stuff, but it scared the shit out of me!
The only other book that ever scared me even half so much was The Fog, and that's because I was about 8 when I read it and it scared me so much I couldn't sleep sad
I hated Heart Shaped Box and didn't finish it (which is something for me to say)
World War Z is a great book, but isn't particularly scary I don't think (although I never have found zombies all that scary, so others might find it more so than I did)
If you liked The Stand, you would probably like Swan Song by Robert McCammon, they have a fairly similar plot, as if the two authors had the same brief and those were the books they wrote.

2to3 Sun 25-Mar-12 00:27:56

The Road by Cormack mcCarthy. That's one scary book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now