London adoption process

(34 Posts)
unusednickname Fri 22-Feb-13 21:02:35

I am probably being very stupid here but...

I don't get how we would register to adopt in London. Our borough says they'll treat applications from people who live in the borogh cautiously because of the proximity to the birth family. Clearly we'd like as much chance as possible so we wouldn't want to regsiter with them if that would mean fewer chances. Do we have to register with a number of other boroughs? That makes no sense surely? We're in SW London if that helps?

Devora Sun 24-Feb-13 18:22:17

I am also in SW London and adopted through Ealing, who were fantastic from start to finish. They were keen to take us on because of our ethnic mix, though in the end our child came from outside London. It's important to understand how the adoption market works, especially in London where there is a big choice of agencies. A social worker from Richmond explained to me that they wouldn't take me on because they have mainly white children, and how important it is to find an agency that feels it has a high chance of placing a child with you. Once you are approved they will usually keep you as their exclusive property for a few months but then you are free to look for children across the country. We were matched with our beautiful daughter through the national adoption register, though Ealing continued to support us for another year.

It's hard to know whether cross cultural adoption has increased. I certainly do know white couples who have adopted minority ethnic toddlers. This is more likely where the child is an unusual racial mix, and I would think your experience of living and working in diverse communities would help demonstrate the skills you could bring to parenting a range of children.

unusednickname Sun 24-Feb-13 20:27:47

Thanks Devora that's really helpful.

mrsballack Sun 24-Feb-13 20:39:10

Not that I'm aware of, until they find you a child/children suitable I suppose.

Phineyj Sun 24-Feb-13 20:59:14

www.familyfutures.co.uk/ When we looked into this, these people seemed good.

unusednickname Sun 24-Feb-13 21:28:21

thanks phineyj - will check them out smile

Kewcumber Mon 25-Feb-13 21:31:55

I was talking to someone at the weekend who adopted three times through ealing and they were very complimentary.

unusednickname Tue 26-Feb-13 07:58:42

Someone else here said Ealing too...

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 26-Feb-13 20:57:10

I've heard good things about Ealing too

Most London boroughs won't consider you if you live within their boundaries (because of the difficulty placing children who shouldn't have contact with their birth family). Unlike other LA agencies eg Surrey CC, Herts CC, who won't consider you unless you do live within their boundaries! And generally agencies won't want to travel more than an hour to get to you to do home studies etc

I'd say to phone around and see who is actually looking for prospective adopters at the moment and go from there.

firenze2 Tue 26-Feb-13 23:15:11

We've been told by a few LAs that we would need to give them 3 months after approval, then we can look elsewhere. But as I mentioned on another thread, we're still trying to get that sorted out - assess us, someone, pretty please!! Grr.

I think there's a year time limit on being matched before another assessment (modified?) has to be carried out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now