Newbies

(1000 Posts)

Hi I am a newbie and only just started this journey, officially made the call last week.

Just interested how may other newbies are out there who are still in the early stages. I keep coming across people and recognising names. Anyone want to let on what stage they are at?

mrsballack Wed 30-Jan-13 15:59:47

How much do they want you to lose? I ask because I'm a chubber and trying to lose weight and was wondering if they'd want me get to a healthier bmi.

Mum2G Wed 30-Jan-13 17:10:30

Great news mrs Ballack! It will be good to alll go through it together!

VerityPushpram Wed 30-Jan-13 20:33:11

I'm overweight but my GP made it clear that he didn't think I'm unhealthy. I wouldn't mind losing a bit though, I want to do plenty of running around after my little ones!

All my medical form said about weight was that if BMI is over 30, waist and hip measurements needed to be included.

mrsballack Wed 30-Jan-13 22:56:20

That doesn't sound great. My bmi is currently about 33 but it's going down. I carry most of my weight in the unhealthy midsection too! Having said that I've never had any health problems and my blood pressure and cholesterol are all normal. We shall see I suppose. The sw never mentioned my weight at all.

Mrsballack My bmi is just under 33 so I would like it to be under 30. I am eating less and now I have had a problem with my tooth I expect to eat even less!

Verity You said 'All my medical form said about weight was that if BMI is over 30, waist and hip measurements needed to be included.' Would rather not have my measurements taken!!

Mrsballack If your prep group is not until April and your BMI is 33 you have 3 months to get it down a bit if you feel able to. Please do pm me with any tips!

mrsballack Thu 31-Jan-13 12:42:27

Thanks. I've lost almost a stone in January so it's getting there. Been at a standstill this week but I think that's because I've been I'll so haven't really exercised. I'm hoping that if I can show that I'm losin the weight it won't be too much of an issue.

VerityPushpram Thu 31-Jan-13 13:07:54

Italiangreyhound, I took off as much clothing as I could and still be decent on those scales!

Good luck everyone who wants to lose weight, I'm doing the fast diet but it's definitely not fast - more of a marathon than a sprint.

Oh Verity which fast one, alternate day fasting or 5:2. I am trying alternate day fasting but a bring and share lunch at work yesterday snagged me a bit!!!

MrsBallack what is your secret, a stone in a month!! If I can do that I could be under 30!! Or just abouts!

mrsballack Fri 01-Feb-13 03:33:17

Italiangreyhound I have no idea. I was counting calories, but still having 12-1300 a day. I cheated on at least one day a week. I exercised for 30 mins 5 days a week and did an extra 60 min Zumba class on a sunday. I honestly think it was the exercise as the last week I've stayed the same despite eating better than before.

LocoParentis Fri 01-Feb-13 06:41:33

Hi all, just wanted to update you. We're had to put the adoption process on hold for a year. Over Christmas dh found quite a serious illness. We're pretty sure he is ok but it's their policy that we would have to wait a year after to make sure it doesn't recur and that we're over it.
I understand where they are coming from but this feels like a body blow.
So we're not giving up we are still making preparations but I might lurk off for a bit too lick my wounds.
Good luck in your journeys over the next few months

VerityPushpram Fri 01-Feb-13 07:10:09

Loco, hope your DH is OK, all the best for a speedy recovery and a good result for you and your children.

Italian, it's 5:2, not too taxing but only if you're patient (I'm trying to be).

Loco I am so sorry, I really hope he will be well soon and that you will be on track to adopt again soon.

Mrsballack and Verity thanks for sharing your diet tips.

How is everyone?

Hope all is well.

DH had his medical but I am still waiting.

firenze2 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:52:04

Hello, just joining and Italiangreyhound kindly pointed me in this direction. DH and I are at the starting end of the process. We've had an initial interview and looking to find out about a prep course taking place, hopefully soon.

Loco - Sorry to hear about your delay. That must be so disappointing. But I hope your DH gets well soon.

Welcome firenze2. Interesting name. All the best.

Domjolly Thu 14-Feb-13 07:36:24

Italiangrayhound

Eeekkkk i have my prep tomorrow and on monday i start my home study can tell i am nervous because i woke up at 6 this morning bolt up right i was Oh well just gonna try and keep my self occupied.

mrsballack Fri 15-Feb-13 13:04:16

Hiya. New sw has just left. What a difference!! She was lovely, very positive and friendly. She said she will be recommending us to go forward. Their next prep course is full but there are spaces in may. I feel so much happier with this agency than the last one. Goes to show that meeting with more than one agency is a good idea.

Great news Mrsballack.

firenze2 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:09:00

Domjolly: Good luck with the home study start today!

mrsballack: Nice to hear you had such a positive experience with the new sw. It does seem to differ from agency to agency!

Domjolly Mon 18-Feb-13 18:53:35

Oh my goodness our sw is soooooooooooo nice we have the first of our 4 home studys ( doing four long days) it went well i think talked loads

Now for the seconed half of our prep group on friday iys all going soo fast

Great.

Mum2G Tue 19-Feb-13 10:13:01

Hey all, Sorry to hear that Loco that is a blow, wishing you all well, keep in touch if and when you feel like it x

Fab news Mrsballack, it is nice to feel supported when you know you are going to be bearing your soul to them! Now you can make plans for May which will be here before you know it.

Are you still waiting to hear back after the prep group Italian? Good luck with your medical. We have been given a list of books to read with birth children to help prepare them but i am thinking we will do this later on in the process, i know you were looking at these so if you think any are particulalry good i would be interested to hear.

Welcome Fire! Hope your interview went well, we found it very strange reading about ourselves in the reports that came through after the visits, and it is interesting to find out how they have interpreted what you have said!

Good to hear all is going well Dom, Good luck with the rest of the homestudy and prep, it is funny how sometimes it feels as if things are dragging a bit and then at other times things seem to go fast.

In the end we had visits by three agencies and have just this week decided on who to go with. We are now filling in the F1, getting together all the details for the chronlogy is interesting when you have moved about as much as DH and I have!

All being well, we will start prep course in March, and have home visits every two weeks to do the home study.

We have said we are open at the moment to a boy or girl, but i am kind of thinking it might be nice ot have a girl, ds would like a bro, the social worker suggests that their views on this are key, so i am mulling this one over at the mo!

I have just started reading the attachment handbook for fostering and adoption, it looks like it is going to be really helpful

Hope you all enjoying the sunshine x

Broodymomma Wed 20-Feb-13 10:48:13

Hi room for one more?

We applied back in may last year and finally got our prep course this month. We have 1 more day to go and have already submitted our formal app so hope to start home study soon. We have 1 birth child who will be 6 next month. Good luck to you all!

This thread is not accepting new messages.