Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Tell me why Aldi is so good??

(12 Posts)
PisforPeter Sat 12-Jul-14 22:25:24

Lots of my friends rave about shopping at Aldi/Lidl.
Is it good for fresh food too??

bevwallace Sat 12-Jul-14 23:39:30

blooming fabulous, saved me a fortune over the years especially the price of fresh fruit and veg as we eat loads of them. Quality is good and most are British anyway so limiting environmental waste. Go and find out for yourself and prepare to be pleasantly surprised!

clary Sat 12-Jul-14 23:43:53

It's cheap.

It's fresh.

There's not much choice so you can do your week's shopping in about 45 mins. I get a bit dazed and confused in Asda now.

Oh yeah did I say it's cheap? Said week's shopping (and I really do mean food for five of us for a week, with a midweek shop for bread, a few bits of fruit/salad and milk) cost £50.

I love the price most of all but the food is really rather nice imo. I'd like the meat and cheeses.

Ignoring my run in with an over zealous security guard

realitygone Sat 12-Jul-14 23:50:09

Cut a huge chunk off my shopping anfd quality is still great, infact the best meat around actually.

I saw an impressive take down of a theif last week wherr 15 members of staff chased him down the street then carried him and the stolen whisky back into the shop where everyone clapped.

Pixel Sat 12-Jul-14 23:52:29

Also I love the straight through the checkout and then pack bags afterwards thing. The other day I had to pop into Tesco for a few things and the woman in front packed her bags soooo slowly, then shuffled through a load of coupons to find the ones in date, then remembered something else she wanted and wandered off at a snail's pace to fetch it, then couldn't remember her pin number. All while I seethed silently in the queue behind her and tried to resist looking pointedly at my watch. Aldi is much better for the blood pressure!

Norfolknway Sat 12-Jul-14 23:56:53

I feel like I pay the right price for things.

Not just a good price if you buy 2/3

It's just reasonable.

Oh. And the wine can be good and as I mentioned before, reasonable.

JewelFairies Sun 13-Jul-14 00:32:47

Forget Aldi, Lidl is the place to go.

SittingNextToSanta Sun 13-Jul-14 00:42:54

I have been trying them both out lately and I would agree Lidl has the edge.

AlleyCat11 Sun 13-Jul-14 00:49:07

Not into Aldi or Lidl. I reckon the bigger out of town branches must be better, like all supermarkets. I live in the city centre & the ones near me are depressing... Reminds me of the Kwiksave I used to shop in as a student.

Meow75 Sun 13-Jul-14 01:10:26

In Lidl, there is a brand of wine called Baywood. The white is too dry for me so I think it's vile, the rosé is passable but the red is AMAZING!!!!

And it's British!!!grin

And it's £3 a bottle!!!grin

microcosmia Sun 13-Jul-14 01:15:21

Pasta

Pasta sauces

Olive oils

Balsamic vinegar

French cheeses

German cheeses

Dutch cheeses

Fresh veg and fruit Super 6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now