Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

are all your friend in same social class?

(111 Posts)
socialclass Sat 12-Jul-14 22:09:14

So how many of us have good friends from or in a very different social class?

I'd like to think that common interests and some good will could make class, status, background and financial situation irrelevant, and that it's possible for a really good friendship to develop regardless.

Does that fit anyone's experience?

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Jul-14 22:11:14

I have never even thought about it. They are my friends because we have stuff in common and like each other's company. End of.

libertytrainers Sat 12-Jul-14 22:11:29

no, i am the only one that likes john lewis, they all like primark :O ;)

SiennaBlake Sat 12-Jul-14 22:12:01

I don't have any friends.

<cries to self in corner>

libertytrainers Sat 12-Jul-14 22:12:38

what do you base class as then op?

in the uk i find most people who care about class are like mrs bouquet

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Jul-14 22:13:09

You can be my friend Sienna, as long as you are the right class obviously. I will take you for a slap up breakfast in Asda cafe if you like. wink

I don't know about social class, but I have friends who are millionaires and friends who are signing on. Is that what you meant?

I just tried to work this out and concluded that I don't actually know why class my friends belong to.

FatherSpodoKomodo Sat 12-Jul-14 22:16:10

No, I am really posh and they are working class. I have told them that I am better than them but they don't believe me. Disgraceful.

Really, that's an in joke because the town I am from originally is seen as a MC town and the one I live in now, next door to MCville, is looked down on by MC townspeople. So I'm well posh and they ain't.

SiennaBlake Sat 12-Jul-14 22:16:18

Oh no, dear. M&S breakfasts for me! wink

We can drive in my car made of gold and diamonds. <sniff>

Heathcliff27 Sat 12-Jul-14 22:16:51

My best friend is married to a very wealthy businessman millionaire they take 4-5 exotic holidays/cruises a year, new cars, beautiful house therefore she is able to be a SAHM. DH and I both work although me approx 20 hrs per week, we're able to run 2 cars thanks to my work but we've never had a holiday abroad prefering to holiday in the UK.

I have known her since we were both teenagers and tbh she would probably not put herself in any class differently to me or any of our other friends, who are a bit of a mixture. She just happens to have met someone who has worked hard and made a good business.

RudyMentary Sat 12-Jul-14 22:17:30

I don't even know what class I am let alone my friends

PennyPepper Sat 12-Jul-14 22:19:04

I have posh friends and some with much more humble backgrounds.

The friends I have the best time with are the ones that know what I'm on about. It's all to do with common interests, intellect and sense of humour, not class.

lljkk Sat 12-Jul-14 22:19:27

If I redefine the question as "same social background":
Looking back historically, I would say No.
I suppose I haven't ever had friends who came from truly wealthy backgrounds.

MotleyCroup Sat 12-Jul-14 22:19:37

I have friends who are extremely wealthy and friends who are struggling financially. They are people I have known since my early teens, so we've all grown up together.

hoboken Sat 12-Jul-14 22:20:09

No, anyone from aristos to women struggling on benefits and everyone in between. My parties are interesting!

Whatdoiknowanyway Sat 12-Jul-14 22:23:04

My local friends are from more mc backgrounds than me but I am far better educated. Our kids are all much and such. Ultimately doesn't really matter.

thatstoast Sat 12-Jul-14 22:24:39

Wow, I love your username OP! All my friends are middle class journalists who like to stir up trouble.

cheminotte Sat 12-Jul-14 22:25:40

How do you define class anyway? I did that bbc survey a while back on classes and came out as being in the technical classes because I knew some scientists?
I have similar values to my friends and similar politics. I have all sorts of acquaintances and think I can get on with most people but I don't have any really good friends who work in a factory for example. My friends are teachers, uni lecturers, scientists. I work in a professional job in an office. No friends with kids at private school either.

kinkymouse Sat 12-Jul-14 22:28:34

I'm yet to find someone who mentions class someone I would want to spend time with either in the queue at the job centre or John Lewis. I really just don't get it. Really really just don't.

socialclass Sat 12-Jul-14 22:44:32

I agree class is a horrible concept, I don't often use the word, hence the name change before even bringing it up, but I meant the differences brought about by education (type and duration), aspirations, availability of money etc

I grew up as a victim of thatcher's britain, surrounded by plenty of others, but I now mostly find myself feeling vaguely awkward around people who didn't. Not always, but often hmm

lljkk Sat 12-Jul-14 22:47:19

Something has slightly freaked me out is that after starting secondary all of DD's friends that are similar wealth-education-professions to us. All but one (maybe). DD says things like "I finally have the friends I always wanted." I didn't realise that our type were so uncommon up at the primary school. I half wonder now if that sort of explains why the DSs have tended to have social problems. sad

socialclass Sat 12-Jul-14 22:47:26

hoboken your parties sound like fun

TheFairiesAreBack Sat 12-Jul-14 22:50:32

This is the second most stupid question I have been asked this week.

The first being 'do most children in the uk go to boarding school like I have seen in the movies?'

I have quite a few journalist friends too.

TalcumPowder Sat 12-Jul-14 22:53:54

The people who behave as though social class is purely an invention of Mn make me want to laugh, I swear.

Also, there is no intrinsic link between money and social class. The Beckhams are immensely wealthy and at best lower-middle class. The millionaire friends pp mention are not necessarily UC or UMC.

OP, I think it's an interesting question. I'm from the deprived end of the WC originally, but, being academically able, went to Oxford, so I have friends from where I grew up, MC friends from the very MC profession I now work in, and also some UC friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now