Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Anyone been prescribed propranolol for migraine?

(30 Posts)
TalisaMaegyr Fri 11-Jul-14 23:25:49

Anyone been prescribed propranolol for migraine? I've just got it, and am excited that it might do something about my fucking awful headaches after all these years. However... I am led to believe that it makes you really tired and also causes disturbed sleep - which I really don't need! I'm knackered enough as it is. Does anyone have any experience of beta blockers please?

Carrie5608 Fri 11-Jul-14 23:28:50

Dh and Dd both tske it with good results. I wouldn't say it makes them tired more laid back possibly.

Cordial Fri 11-Jul-14 23:29:46

Hi I had reduced migraine on prop but as they raised the dose to try and get rid i started having night terrors getting out of bed throwing myself around that sort of thing! Nightmare!! I'd get up covered in bruises this went on for 6 months before neuro decided to take me off them. Everybody reacts differently fingers crossed this is your magic bullet! smile

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Fri 11-Jul-14 23:30:22

I take it for anxiety.

Makes you very tired when you first start but you get used to it.

Cordial Fri 11-Jul-14 23:30:52

I was extremely relaxed by the way!my whole team commented separately about how chilled out I was.

Primrose123 Fri 11-Jul-14 23:35:57

I had it ten years ago. It made me feel extremely tired. I could hardly function and was struggling for breath while climbing one flight of stairs. I took it for about six months and put on about two and a half stone. sad The migraines stopped though.

SublimeCorpse Fri 11-Jul-14 23:36:02

I take propranolol for migraine - 40mg twice a day.

I didn't notice any side effects actually, none at all. It has helped tremendously though and I can't recommend giving it a go highly enough smile

TalisaMaegyr Fri 11-Jul-14 23:37:43

Oooh this sounds pretty positive! I've been prescribed 40mg twice a day but doc said we could increase if needed.

Primrose that sounds awful.

GreenShadow Fri 11-Jul-14 23:42:26

I used to take it for palpitations and the only side effect that I had was low blood pressure leading to light headedness.

PricillaQueenOfTheDessert Fri 11-Jul-14 23:44:56

I guess it depends on what dose you are on. I've been prescribed it for anxiety, can't remember what dose though. I've taken one tonight for the awful anxiety I've been feeling all day today and now just feel chilled out. I get migranes and didn't realise you could take it for those. Do you take them with pain relief or instead of?

everydayaschoolday Fri 11-Jul-14 23:54:32

I've just been dispensed with it too for migraine. Pricilla it's a preventative medicine, so I have to take it twice a day, everyday. But if I got an attack, I can take pain relief too.

TalisaMaegyr Fri 11-Jul-14 23:54:39

Apparently they are to prevent migraines. I looked on a few forums and lots of people said they were like a miracle. I have high hopes!

ScarlettDragon Fri 11-Jul-14 23:58:43

Yes, I've been taking it for around 2 years. Bloody wonder drug it is, migraines completely gone now. I have to take it twice a day. I do try to take the second tablet around late afternoon as if I take it too close to bedtime it disturbs my sleep quite a bit.

StUmbrageinSkelt Sat 12-Jul-14 03:47:34

I gained lots of weight on it and it did nothing for the migraines. Very disappointing, I hope you have a better result.

I've been prescribed them for post migraine lingering headaches. Cant take as a precaution as have asthma. They've been good.

SuzySuzSuz Sat 12-Jul-14 07:16:36

I was on Pizotifen which believe is the same type of medication and it didn't completely stop my migraines but really did reduce their frequency and intensity.

I also used a mini can of full fat coke and 3 dissolvable aspirin for headaches/migraine starters which also worked.

Once I got used to taking them they were fine but initially they did make me sleepy and I had to watch my diet as did put on weight (not by magic though, they increase your appetite, I ate more crap so put on weight). I took them in the afternoon which worked for me with them making me sleepier at night. I felt like a zombie the first few mornings!

I came off them a month ago, have started eating less carbs and (touch wood) have had a few headaches but nothing major or migraines so am hoping they may have been carb/blood sugar related which is something I can try and control.

Lagoonablue Sat 12-Jul-14 07:20:07

Made me constantly starving so ate loads. I don't think they helped my migraines.

musicalendorphins2 Sat 12-Jul-14 07:33:24

My dh woke with migraines every day until he began taking it. Works for him.

TalisaMaegyr Sat 12-Jul-14 09:33:45

It all sounds pretty positive on the whole then. Took one last night and another this morning and we shall see... Could do without the increased appetite tbh, I'm a fat bastard as it is. Have already decided to go on a diet though, I need to shift a couple of stone and that'll give me some more energy anyway.

SublimeCorpse Sat 12-Jul-14 09:45:20

Glad you took the plunge! Hope it works for you.

I didn't get an increased appetite and haven't gained any weight so it's not a given that you will.

Also, have you been advised to take the doses 12 hours apart? It keeps the level of drug steady in your system - I take mine at 8am and 8pm each day.

TalisaMaegyr Sat 12-Jul-14 10:21:43

Ooh no, I hadn't been told that. I shall follow that instruction then! Thanks smile

TalisaMaegyr Tue 15-Jul-14 18:53:29

Well 5 days in and not a single migraine or headache! I've been waking up much more clear headed without that nagging feeling like there's a headache there just waiting...

Last night I forgot to take it early evening and had to take it before bed, and I was very wakeful. But I don't know if that was the heat or not.

Bloody brilliant drug if it carries on like this. A miracle after all these years of being plagued by bad heads. Woohoo! grin

I was prescribed them age 16 for migraines.

I put on two stone in 8weeks, and my skin ripped. Had blackouts and huge memory loss. Great as I was taking my GCSES at the time.

Now as an adult I am angry I was given them as such a young teen. My weight never recovered.

SublimeCorpse Tue 15-Jul-14 22:11:42

Glad you're finding the tablets helpful op! It's lovely to have your life back!

I have been taking the propranolol for 6 months and in that time I have had 5 migraines - 2 mild and 3 moderate. None lasted more than 24 hours. This is a huge improvement for me - I'd usually have one a week before!

I've got a migraine diary app - free from the App Store, a patient uk one. Found it really helpful and will print off when I go to see the neurologist again in a couple of months.

I get the odd headache here and there but if I take a couple of paracetamol they're gone within the hour. Paracetamol didn't used to touch my migraines.

The only other thing I found that stopped migraines was topiramate. Unfortunately I had to stop taking them as I have glaucoma but they were a true miracle drug for me - not even a normal headache in all the time I took them. The weightloss side effect was an added bonus! grin

TalisaMaegyr Wed 16-Jul-14 12:30:43

Sorry about your bad experiences Sizzles sad Medicines are never going to work for everyone, are they? You're taking a risk every time you take something new.

Sublime, honestly, I'm over the moon grin

And today is the day that I've started a diet, which I was going to do anyway, so I'm determined not to let the possible side effect of weight gain affect me either wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now