Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Why are we all getting so big?

(287 Posts)
wofliesfine Fri 11-Jul-14 22:51:50

So what do you make of this? It was all over the media this morning. I'm surprised nobody has discussed it on here.

I don't believe anybody should be ashamed of their body, but she does have a point - we are all getting bigger. And nobody seems to care.
Should we care?

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2686676/Why-todays-young-women-unashamed-fat-Horrified-rolls-flesh-shes-witnessed-summer-LINDA-KELSEY-ta

AnyoneForTennis Fri 11-Jul-14 22:53:09

Lack of movement....

FredFlintstonesSister Fri 11-Jul-14 22:55:05

I think it's probably caused by reading the Daily Mail.

GenuinelyMaryMacguire Fri 11-Jul-14 22:55:09

I'm 'big' and I care very much, but I don't win against my desire to eat. Today, after quite a difficult two hour meeting, I spent the afternoon self-medicating with carbs. It calmed me down but I feel really uncomfortable now and not pleased with myself.

RudyMentary Fri 11-Jul-14 22:57:20

I find it quite shocking actually.

DontPutMeDownForCardio Fri 11-Jul-14 22:58:28

Because there isn't enough education on good diets. It should start in schools. What makes a healthy diet and how to cook. Plus high calorie foods are very cheap. So are fruit and vegetables but they're not as attractively packaged or placed near check outs.

FredFlintstonesSister Fri 11-Jul-14 22:59:19

Incidentally, that piece is one of the most offensive things I have read in a long time! And I'm a size 8!

AnyoneForTennis Fri 11-Jul-14 22:59:53

You see, I'd go for a run instead.... Carbs don't do it for me, running does.

I don't like how the author of that article says it, bit I do kind of agree with what she's saying

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 11-Jul-14 23:00:02

Because the food industry cares about profit above all else, and not enough people wonder whats in their food and why.

RudyMentary Fri 11-Jul-14 23:02:59

I haven't read the article tbf.

I don't think it's up to schools to educate. Parents should set a good example.

wofliesfine Fri 11-Jul-14 23:05:27

I kind of agree with what she is saying, but do not like the nasty way in which she has said it.
If that makes sense.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 11-Jul-14 23:07:34

Terminology like "big" is probably part of the problem.

What we are getting is fat.

BalconyBill Fri 11-Jul-14 23:07:39

Only managed to read the first bit as it was so incredibly offensive. Why should women (no mention of men - at least in the bit I read!) not be able to wear what the hell they like and feel confident in their bodies regardless of size?

The issue of why people are getting bigger is not one I can summon up the energy to discuss with a DM reader on a Friday night. The issue I have already mentioned is one that disgusts me far more.

wofliesfine Fri 11-Jul-14 23:11:20

Tinkly, I was trying to be sensitive in my use of words. Fat is a dirty word on MN.

wofliesfine Fri 11-Jul-14 23:13:59

To be fair to the author, I think she wrote only about women because she is a woman.
Women tend to notice other women. If she were a man, she would have noticed all the bigger men.
Maybe,

wofliesfine Fri 11-Jul-14 23:17:10

Janet Stree Porter on LooseWomen made me laugh today when she said ''Bring back rationing. If everybody had ration books there would be no obesity''.

She was joking I think, but there is a grain of truth in that joke!

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 11-Jul-14 23:17:48

Hmm, I actually think many women look attractive with a bit of extra weight (plump version Nigella being the prime example).

However I have never, ever fancied a fat bloke.

wofliesfine Fri 11-Jul-14 23:20:18

I agree Tinklylaugh, but there is a big difference bewteen a bit of extra weight aka Nigella (which is attractive,) and being grossly overweight.

wofliesfine Fri 11-Jul-14 23:22:13

What is distrubing is that girls are become really overweight at such a young age!
I can understand people piling on the pounds after menopause, but surely not in their teens?
That can't be good.

Mybigfatredwedding Fri 11-Jul-14 23:25:35

Read threads like this one and there is your answer. People eating half a jar of fat and sugar in one go as a matter of course and then discussing it on the internet.

LadySybilLikesCake Fri 11-Jul-14 23:26:22

I used to work in the NHS, and it's a combination of really bad diet and no exercise. Once someone reaches a certain weight, it becomes very hard to exercise or it causes pain/shortness of breath, so they avoid it, which just makes things worse. The human body isn't use to all of the food as well. It stores excess as fat, thinking that at some point it will be needed as there won't be enough food. We haven't evolved to have a faster metabolism yet.

I'm on the wrong end of 'normal weight' because I don't exercise enough (work is desk based rather than walking around for 9 hours a day). I don't eat junk and I avoid processed foods, mainly eat rice, veg, fish and meat so it has to be the exercise.

ipanemame Fri 11-Jul-14 23:26:33

There is enough education about healthy eating, an apple is healthier than 5 biscuits, everyone knows that but many choose to ignore. Add that to a lack of movement and you end with folks getting larger...

gobbin Fri 11-Jul-14 23:27:36

Because there isn't enough education on good diets. It should start in schools. What makes a healthy diet and how to cook

I think that falls under parental responsibility initially, reinforced by education. Too much is pushed onto schools that should be happening at home.

Too much processed food, not enough fresh, too many gadgets and nowhere near enough exercise

adsy Fri 11-Jul-14 23:30:01

Speak for yourself. I dont overeat and im slim and so are all my immediate family. Hmm, maybe theres a link?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now