Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Today I finally took the plunge and booked a laser hair removal consultation. Bearded ladies of Mumsnet, come forth.

(41 Posts)
HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Fri 11-Jul-14 18:15:05

If I can do it, anybugger can.

After years of walking with my head down, shaving, painful stubble rash, feeling utterly low with my self esteem through my boots I finally made an appointment.

I have no idea what it will entail but it can't be any worse than the way this has made me feel.

What do we want ??

* hair free chins * !! also hair free necks, upper lips and side burns

When do we want them ??!

* NOW!! *

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Fri 11-Jul-14 20:10:49

Just me then ?? sad

AtYourCervix Fri 11-Jul-14 20:12:57

Where?

How much?

Will it hurt?

AtYourCervix Fri 11-Jul-14 20:13:45

I'm at the point where I pluck daily. It's truly shite.

CrystalQueen Fri 11-Jul-14 20:14:16

Definitely interested to hear how it goes - chin has been getting worse recently. And my chest. And moustache.

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Fri 11-Jul-14 20:30:34

I do have a full in beard, plucking won't touch it.

I just googled to find a reputable company in the area not sure on price but seems to be �60 ish a session and i'm guessing i'll need 10 of them. They'll be around 6 weeks apart (( from what i've googed ))

�600 is a bargain if it means I can hold my head high ' they've seen it all before )) is my new mantra.

eurochick Fri 11-Jul-14 20:32:34

It's brilliant. I had it done years ago and never looked back. Be warned - it's addictive. I bet you end up having more areas done.

It works best if there is a big colour contrast between your hair and skin.

blueskiesandflowers Fri 11-Jul-14 20:33:54

Good luck
Laser is meant to be great

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Fri 11-Jul-14 20:35:24

Im the perfect candidate apparently (( v pale skin and jet black hair ))

Tuesday can't come soon enough !!

BOFster Fri 11-Jul-14 20:41:24

Will you come back and let us know how it went? I've been using one of those coil remover things- it's not bad, but it doesn't tackle the problem longterm.

MonterayJack Fri 11-Jul-14 20:41:49

I had it done about 20 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I had beard/moustache AND sideburns sad Also have dark hair and fair skin which is ideal combo for laser. It took a lot of treatments but I did have a LOT of hair to deal with.

It lasted about 15 years without me needing to even touch it but since the peri-menopause it's come back on my chin, sides of my cheeks and neck so I'm going to get another consultation and start on this lot (which isn't as bad as the original issue by far).

I'm on a low budget but I'd rather go without a lot of other things and feel confident and not self-conscious. Good luck. I'm sure you won't regret it.

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Fri 11-Jul-14 20:48:19

Oh yes, i'll keep you all updated.

It seems to be something which causes a lot of upset to many women and tbh can be dealt with relatively cheaply (( in the grand scheme of things )) and painlessly. It's just embarrasment that's been holding me back, which is stupid.

How many sessions did you need monteray ??

Luciferbox Fri 11-Jul-14 22:06:14

I looked at this many yrs ago but as a pale redhead I was told there was nothing they could do. sad

MonterayJack Fri 11-Jul-14 22:12:32

I must have easily had 30 + sessions Hair. It was so long ago I can't really remember. BUT remember this was when laser hair removal was still in it's infancy. There were hardly any places offering it at the time.

I expect years on, they have much more effective machines because I don't know anyone these days, who has had or who has needed, as many sessions as I had.

It was such a relief to get shut of the damn stuff though I'd have had as many as it took.

JudysPriest Fri 11-Jul-14 22:26:41

I am very jealous. Would love this. Hope you feel you're holding your head up soon.

Do let us know how you get on.

Anjou Fri 11-Jul-14 22:37:48

I can't recommend getting zapped enough! I had top lip & chin done 7 years ago, and a full .. um .. 'Hollywood' 6 years ago. Face was just a bit nippy, the more intimate areas were REALLY quite nippy but it's all over very quickly. I went to a Sk:n clinic and they were fantastic. I'm pretty sure it was 6-8 monthly sessions? About £600 for the full course each time, if I remember rightly. A word of warning though; if you plan to have kids in the next few years be prepared for it to grow back quicker. I was completely smooth, a few hairs grew back after DS1 was born (3 years ago), but nothing major. Within 2 months of having DS2 (17 months ago) my top lip & chin needed to be done again. Haven't done it yet though because I'm too bloody busy!

RufusTheReindeer Fri 11-Jul-14 23:01:33

I went to skin clinics for my lady garden

I did find the first couple very painful and they suggested I take painkillers an hour or so before hand

As soon as they stop the pain goes and after the first one I didn't have a rash

I have poly cystic ovaries and needed 8 treatments, skin clinics offer 20% off if you have a doctors letter confirming poly cystic ovaries

I'm just trying to pluck up courage to get my pits done as well

I hope it goes well for you thanks

HibiscusIsland Fri 11-Jul-14 23:45:14

Do you think if it comes back after kids it is regrowth of the original hairs or would they have been extra to what was already there if you'd not had it done?

HibiscusIsland Fri 11-Jul-14 23:46:49

Lucifer Might it be worth asking about it again as my sister is a red head and she had it done recently. They might have improved their techniques since you last asked.

RuddyDuck Sat 12-Jul-14 06:09:26

I was told I wouldn't be suitable for laser treatment due to hair/skin colour. I have electrolysis instead. It's much cheaper, and so far so good. I pay £10 per session, Initially I had to have them weekly, then it dropped to fortnightly and now it's once a month ( it's been a year now since I started). I've not kept a record but I think Ive spent about £230 so far.

I'm hoping that within the next few months the hairs will completely go and not come back, but am not sure that will ever happen. So perhaps not as permanent as laser tratment but my best option atm.

Marylou62 Sat 12-Jul-14 07:25:45

Ladies....I am seriously thinking of doing this but am skint...plucking every day. On holiday in Turkey a waiter kept stroking my chin/neck and I nearly died...embarrassing.

MrsDavidBowie Sat 12-Jul-14 07:29:42

I had legs and bikini line done a few years ago and its the best £600 I've ever spent

shutitweirdo Sat 12-Jul-14 07:36:26

I got 6 sessions of IPL on group on for £50. I have a full on beard, lip and sideburns. I've had 2 sessions its made a huge difference. It very rarely appears but I got it in February and had a Valentine's discount. The lady in there has had 4 sessions on her underarms and now doesn't need to shave. I've gone from twice a day shaving to maybe 3 times a week. After the initial cooked hair are out it's a lot better.

Sallycinnamum Sat 12-Jul-14 08:23:35

Can I ask those that have had it done, what do you do between treatments because the one thing that puts me off is having stubble between each session.

I bought a Phillips Lumea last year but it wasn't that good and I ended up selling it on ebay.

PinkSquash Sat 12-Jul-14 08:28:43

I would love to have this done in the future. I'm currently hairier than my DH which makes me feel awful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now