Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Have we had an end of year teachers gift thread yet?

(110 Posts)
pigleychez Sat 28-Jun-14 22:05:51

If so can someone point me in the right direction pease.

If not then whats everyone doing? DDs only been at her new school since Xmas when we moved so dont know the teachers that well.

Eebahgum Sat 28-Jun-14 22:09:46

There have been a few but don't know how to link. General consensus from teachers is we love a nice, complimentary, hand made card. If you want to get something else keep it small. It really is the thought that counts. Baked goods or other home made gifts are very much appreciated.

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Jun-14 22:10:05

A little hand written thank you card. Teachers have enough mugs/chocolate/pens etc.

If they have done anything above and beyond maybe some wine.

OpiesOldLady Sat 28-Jun-14 22:11:52

I'm getting DD1's teacher a good bottle of Vodka with a note attached that says 'After teacher me for a year, you probably need this..'

DD has been... challenging, this year grin

We have been asked to donate a minimum of 15 quid. Per child. For John Lewis vouchers.

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Jun-14 22:16:58

I generally get something that could be used up or passed on. Toiletries? Pretty notebook?
This year I plan on something a bit more but the teacher has been incredible. (It's not expensive but I've checked with a colleague who knows the teacher well and it looks like a winner!)

Eebahgum Sat 28-Jun-14 22:18:27

Opies that's a fabulous present. I bet she secretly loved teaching ds though. The challenging ones give you so many smiles. Stairs - that's just ridiculous. No one should be told what they have to give. It's completely personal. Can't you just tell the organiser to fuck off?

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Jun-14 22:19:54

Does anyone remember the thread about the teacher mugs in the charity shop?
A teacher from the school had donated her mugs to the local charity shop still with the gift tags from the pupils on. sad They were there on the shelf.

Skiingmaniac Sat 28-Jun-14 22:22:09

As a teacher myself here is what I'd love:
- a verbal thank you from pupil with a reason behind it explained
- handmade picture or card
- flowers from the garden
- homemade jam, biscuits or suchlike

If parents want to buy something....here are ones I've liked:
- a bottle of wine
- a lottery ticket grin
- vouchers

I appreciate but dislike:
- generic candles
- bubble bath

wizzler Sat 28-Jun-14 22:31:08

DD had a very young teacher when she was in Y1.. I bought her the Joyce Grenfell book " George, Don't do that!".. She absolutely loved it .. hadn't heard of it before

Lucylouby Sat 28-Jun-14 22:31:41

We were asked to give £10 at Easter to buy flowers for the teacher who was leaving. She taught dc for 2 days a week, for 2 terms. Not a chance. I can't imagine the size of the bouquet that much money would have got, but i know it would have been a ridiculous amount to spend.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be giving £15 to buy John Lewis vouchers either. Is my maths right, that for a class of 30, that would be £450 of vouches? That teacher must be very special...
We tend to make a card with the teachers name down the side and something the child remembers about the teacher starting with each letter of the name. I figure the teacher knows we have out some thought into it then. This tends to go with a box of chocolates, that probably gets swopped or passed on once the teacher gets chance. (We have a teacher friend who sends us so many boxes of chocs it is unreal). I figure my gift is making someone happy.

ToAvoidConversation Sat 28-Jun-14 22:37:28

Lots of teachers are stationary fiends . Or a small voucher for something like Starbucks or Costa is lovely.

I wouldn't liked baked goods. Grubby hands, etc!

LynetteScavo Sat 28-Jun-14 22:37:28

I'm waiting for DS's Sats results...and will base the generosity of the end of year gift on how well he does. wink grin

I will be giving DDs teacher a gift of something I know she really likes..she has taught both DS and DD, and it took me a looooong time to warm to her, but she is actually a brilliant teacher. I won't be giving her chocolate. (Yes, she is the teacher that rebuked DSs offing of chocolate when he'd just started Y4)

It's for the teacher and the two assistants,so I guess the money will be shared between them. My first thought was quite rude. But it's the pafa rep organising it, and there have been many texts. So we have stumped up.

Noodledoodledoo Sat 28-Jun-14 22:42:16

I am in secondary so a little different but my tutor group of the last 5 years have just left.

I was really touched with the few pressies I got from some of my tutor group and some students I teach. The cards mean the most as the words are lovely.

Pressies I got include a small bag of chocs from Thorntons, a pen set with a personalised message on the tin - useful and personal as well, a small set of Sanctuary smellies, and 2 outfits for my baby I am due in September.

Personally useful presents are best, pens and notebooks will always be used well.

starlight1234 Sat 28-Jun-14 22:48:03

I am struggling for my DS this year as I can't stand his teacher.I do not think they have bought out the best in my son and can't wait to find out who his teacher will be next year. I obviously don't share these feelings with my DS.

His previous teachers have been amazing and have always tried to do a personal thoughtful gift.

It will be a handmade card if DS mentions it.

greeneggsandjam Sat 28-Jun-14 23:33:40

chocolate and mugs are very boring gifts.

ShyGirlie Sun 29-Jun-14 08:37:46

try not to buy "best teacher" items!!

a coffee bought on the way into school would be lovely, or even a 5 pound coffee voucher.

Sneezy Sun 29-Jun-14 09:00:59

We made a scrap album from the class. I have each parent a sheet of paper and they put a pic of their child and the child decorated the page and then I put the sheets in the Polly pockets and put them all in the book. It's the American style scrapbook.
Teacher loved it so much.
DD2 is just finishing her year in reception with same teacher so trying to organise getting class pic put on a jigsaw for teacher (apparently teacher likes puzzles).
Another year (for dd1) kids made a cushion. And also a massive cake made too.
This year for DD1 we collecting money for possibly vouchers and kids theme at school at moment is Alice on wonderland and a lovely teaset in this theme had been seen.

KarlWrenbury Sun 29-Jun-14 09:03:15

Teacher here secondary - (Rarely get anything in secondary even from kids you help MASSIVELY)

would like:

a card
wine

wouldnt like:
naff chocs
handcream
best teacher anything

would be embarassed by
gift cards

KarlWrenbury Sun 29-Jun-14 09:03:43

but increasingly a NICE LETTER COPIED INTO MY BOSS is what I would like

tbh I can buy my own wine.

Its my first year doing gifts as dd is moving from nursery to reception at our local school.

I am planning a cotton bag with dd and 2 of her friends hand prints on. In the bag a little bottle of fizzy wine and a small pack of hotel chocolat chocs. Also getting a nice box of chocs for the staff room as they often have TAs from elsewhere in the school bobbing in to help with displays and things.

Think I will also email the head to reiterate how wonderful her preschool staff are.

Sparklingbrook Sun 29-Jun-14 09:10:11

Oh and handmade cards too. Hate the generic best teacher ones.

KarlWrenbury Sun 29-Jun-14 09:12:00

oh god , I so remember being the mUm who spent hours agonising over primary teacher gifts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now