Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Costco

(60 Posts)
Cantdothisagain Sat 28-Jun-14 13:44:37

Off to Costco later - is there anything worth avoiding/seeking out? Thanks in advance for any tips!

VodkaKnockers Sat 28-Jun-14 13:58:27

I love Costco!

Make sure u pick up one of the leaflets at the door. It will have all their special offers in it.

Their muffins are delish. Massive too and you can get 2 packs for the price of one.

Cantdothisagain Sat 28-Jun-14 14:10:16

Thank you! Not sure what to expect so looking forward to it.

Needadvice5 Sat 28-Jun-14 14:18:05

Just bear in mind that some of their products work out cheaper in an actual supermarket.

Costco is brill if you have a large family or a big freezer as I find lots of stuff comes in such big packs!

PervyMuskrat Sat 28-Jun-14 14:21:30

Double check the prices against your regular supermarket. I found that they were reasonably priced for branded names but for e.g nappies and wipes, Asda own brand were cheaper and I eventually gave up my membership completely as the savings just weren't there for what I regularly bought. Also, it's cash and debit card only (or at least it was a couple of years ago) so make sure you have enough in your bank account smile

PervyMuskrat Sat 28-Jun-14 14:21:58

X posts!

HemlockStarglimmer Sat 28-Jun-14 14:23:14

I'm told their meat is very good. Haven't put it to the test though as I'm vegetarian.

I always buy a massive watermelon, loo rolls, kitchen roll and some cleaning product or other depending on what I need.

A friend usually gets some Baklava and last time he came home with a tv stand.

angelohsodelight Sat 28-Jun-14 14:23:54

Fruit juice cartons, soft drinks, (both products of the devil!), toilet roll, croissants, pastries, meat is good, chicken tenders, burgers, oh so mych is lovely!

Be sure to try either the hot dog and drink on your way out (£1.50 for both) or slice of pizza.

Tske a freezer bag!

Floralnomad Sat 28-Jun-14 14:29:52

Cans of Pepsi are generally cheap. The Capri suns are cheaper too but according to my dd they taste different . We are going on Monday and combining it with ikea.

CaractacusPotts Sat 28-Jun-14 14:32:02

If you leave without the red velvet muffins then it hasn't been a successful trip.

Their meat, fish and cheese is amazing. They have huge bags of frozen prawns that are also good. Fruit and veg I always find a bit iffy. I love their own brand bin bags, kitchen roll and kitchen wipes. Their wine list is also very good.

Their restaurant is also well worth a visit.

angelohsodelight Sat 28-Jun-14 14:41:53

Their cling film is brilliant - it cuts well, doesn't get caught up and lasts forever!

blush at cling film excitement

chanie44 Sat 28-Jun-14 14:44:06

Their Kirkland signature own brand batteries are excellent and last as long as Duracell - 48 batteries for £10. I have two preschoolers so a lot of their toys need batteries.

joosiewoosie Sat 28-Jun-14 14:46:19

Their Italian sausages are fabulous! Go very nicely in a sausage/pasta type dish! Nom nom smile

Cantdothisagain Sat 28-Jun-14 14:50:54

Thanks for all the advice. Will be careful not to get ripped off and will check out the muffins, sausages, and clingfilm!!

JimbosJetSet Sat 28-Jun-14 14:54:41

We always buy a punnet of blueberries - they are always big and sweet (unlike the Asda ones hmm)

If you have young children, check out their Carters clothing - they have some wonderful prints and colours. The clothes for older kids can be a bit trashy though.

Their cakes are fantastic but also huge - Good value though.

They tend to have lots of free samples of food to try, particularly if you go at the weekend I think.

Have fun!

Blueuggboots Sat 28-Jun-14 14:56:07

Their Danish pastries are pretty fine!
I always keep an eye on their books too as they're good to pick up for Christmas presents.

Scousadelic Sat 28-Jun-14 14:59:24

The meat is excellent and the frozen Atlantic Salmon is always gorgeous. Strawberries are always lovely and sweet and they last well too. There is just so much!

I buy a huge jar of salted almonds, handy for snacks too

Rainicorn Sat 28-Jun-14 15:02:23

I've been to Costco today, took 2 DC with me, didn't have to feed them on the way out as there were a lot of sampling tables grin

Today a bought:
Strawberries the size of small apples
Punnet of grapes big enough to feed a small army
2x double pack of tortilla wraps. So much nicer than any I've tasted
Giant lemon cheesecake
Double pack of ham
Pack of 4 tongs
2x 2ltr milk
Fruit corners
Triple back own brand pasatta, best I've ever had

Tuna is also on special, 8 tins of John West no drain for £3.99 but they only have sunflower oil one left at my local one so no good for me.

Enjoy!

Oh and the foil. Get the foil

Ifpigscouldfly Sat 28-Jun-14 15:08:19

The olives the olives the olives the olives

GoEasyPudding Sat 28-Jun-14 16:13:25

I like a Costco thread as much as I like a shopping in the USA thread, which is quite a lot... and I have never even been to a Costco!

Misspilly88 Sat 28-Jun-14 16:16:25

Big tubs of yoghurt, food samples, flaming chicken tenders, loo roll. Amazing place smile

MrsVamos Sat 28-Jun-14 16:18:43

Last time I went I bought DD a 4ft teddy bear.

Not quite what I had gone for. But he was a bargain. blush

SquirrelledAway Sat 28-Jun-14 17:07:55

Ooooh yes, olives, and sweet chili sauce. Loo roll and dishwasher tablets. Herbs and spices. Devil's Whizz Pepsi Max, sports drinks, Monsters. Levi 501s, socks. Books. Stationery and stamps. Bottled water, sandwich and wrap plates, prawn rings, satay sticks. Cheesecake.

I could go on ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now