Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What kind of world do we live in with it is acceptable to kick a woman with mental health issues in the head and nearly drown her and laugh and congratulate the perpretrator?

(63 Posts)
TiredCassandrasbed Sat 28-Jun-14 12:53:39

I know white Dee is not popular. Nobody, deserves that. What is wrong with people who think that is behavour to applaud?

Greythorne Sat 28-Jun-14 12:59:22

Who is she?

TiredCassandrasbed Sat 28-Jun-14 13:02:35

A lady from a programme called Benefits Street. She has some mental health conditions that were diagnosed and is being investigated for benefit fraud, because she is not crying on short breaks her manager organises.

Goblinchild Sat 28-Jun-14 13:02:40

She's a 'star' from the show 'Benefits Street'
Welcome to the world of reality TV, stupid and irresponsible behaviour gobbled up as entertainment for the masses. Mocking and humiliation seen as humour.
The man in question has at least been sacked by his employers.

GarlicJunoWho Sat 28-Jun-14 13:02:45

Just seen this shock Poor woman - she is really being punished for nothing! I only watched a few clips of Benefit Street - wasn't she the 'nice one' who always tried to help the others out?

Goblinchild Sat 28-Jun-14 13:03:52

No, I haven't seen the programme. Sadly, several of the primary children I teach keep me informed of things they find funny.

GarlicJunoWho Sat 28-Jun-14 13:06:13

being investigated for benefit fraud, because she is not crying on short breaks her manager organises

Yes! Perfectly put! You have depression - somebody pays for you to go on a cheap holiday in the sunshine - you're a fraud because depressed people can't enjoy holidays in the sunshine. Even though outdoor sunshine, holidays and laughter are all recommended treatments for depression confused

WilliamShatner Sat 28-Jun-14 13:10:02

She is not a likeable character but whether that is her nature, her illness, medication or being ill advised by people out to make money off of her new found fame/notoriety.

However, being pushed into a swimming pool for kicks is vile behaviour and whoever did it should be punished.

It's very sad when someone like this woman gets their 15 minutes of fame and they are not protected.

Those that are flocking around her at the moment only want to earn money and once the money dries up, they will abandon her.

I don't see a positive outcome for this woman.

TiredCassandrasbed Sat 28-Jun-14 13:11:21

I have not seen the programme either. Apparently David Cameron was unable to chillax over her, and got her investigated by DWP.

Goblinchild Sat 28-Jun-14 13:12:43

But to answer the OP, what kind of world?
The same one it's always been, although things have improved over the last century or so.

KarlWrenbury Sat 28-Jun-14 13:13:31

mental health?

We live in a world created by Thatcher in the 80s; where no one gives a shit about anyone else but themselves.

Goblinchild Sat 28-Jun-14 13:18:49

Come on Boris. yobs have been picking on the marginalised and powerless for centuries. It's only relatively recently that the law hasn't condoned it.

MyFairyKing Sat 28-Jun-14 13:23:02

Fucking hell. sad Poor lady.

TiredCassandrasbed Sat 28-Jun-14 13:25:02
STOPwiththehahaheheloling Sat 28-Jun-14 13:26:42

Can someone say what has actually happened or post a link please? I assume this was in a paper or the news?

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Sat 28-Jun-14 13:27:03

Xpost! grin

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Sat 28-Jun-14 13:32:35

shock

That is awful! Poor woman. Love her or hate her there is no justification for it.

CitrusSun Sat 28-Jun-14 14:01:02

BorisJohnson'sHair - so very true, Thatcher and the yuppies, get as much as you can for yourself, sod everyone else, a deadly mantra that has never gone away

Smilesandpiles Sat 28-Jun-14 15:07:51

That is disgusting.

It doesn't matter what you feel or think about those who happen to be claiming anything - you don't do that to anyone. Ever. There is NO excuse for that kind of behaviour.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Sat 28-Jun-14 15:17:11

Whilst the behaviour towards her was wrong the following quote from the paper explains what is so wrong with this woman's outlook:-

Today, Dee, 42, will meet with organisers to discuss potential compensation for her injuries.

Some people see £ signs everywhere.

Smilesandpiles Sat 28-Jun-14 15:25:31

So?

She was ATTACKED. It's all on film. It was an unprovoked attacked, too right she should be looking for some sort of compensation either from the hotel for lack of lifeguards or from the attacker himself. Most people would be looking for some sort of compensation, why should she be any different. Because she claimed or is claiming a benefit?

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Sat 28-Jun-14 15:27:24

fairyfellows i would agree with you if this had been injury as a result of an accident, like if she tripped over uneen tiles by the pool but in the case of a deliberate attempt to hurt her then i think it's fair enough that she should seek compensation.

STOPwiththehahaheheloling Sat 28-Jun-14 15:28:07

Xpost with smilesandpiles.

Why shouldn't she seek some form of redress when she was deliberately attacked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now