Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Relocating to chester/The Wirral...

(55 Posts)
Warmandtoasty Sat 28-Jun-14 11:55:41

My husband has been offered a promotion at work which would take him to the Ellesmere Port area, we currently live outside Nottingham so would have to relocate, the problem we have is we have no idea at all about where to live/or not to live. So I'm really hoping someone can help us out a bit?

We have a 9 year old son so good schools are essential but not a grammar school as he isn't the most academic and would really struggle to get in to one of those. My husband ideally would like a 30 minute or more commute to work as he doesn't like living too close to work.

Can anyone recommend nice areas to look at, we are planning on driving over today and having a wee look around

Thanks

Madlizzy Sat 28-Jun-14 11:57:32

Irby, Heswall, Thurstaston, Parkgate are a few lovely areas to start with. Parkgate is right on the coast of the River Dee and there is a wonderful Parkgate ice cream to die for. grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Jun-14 11:59:21

Chester is my favourite place to visit in the world. I am very envy

Opheliabumps Sat 28-Jun-14 12:00:20

Molington is lovely and has a great primary, But is v close to Ellesmere Port so would be a short commute. Christleton is lovely, agree with Heswall etc, but Parkgate has a lot of mosquitoes, my friend suffered terribly with bites when she lived there (might be worth it for the fantastic ice creams though!).

Parkgate is definitely worth going for Nicholls ice cream!!

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Jun-14 12:08:30

There's the tame squirrels in Grosvenor Park too, smile

Warmandtoasty Sat 28-Jun-14 12:34:17

Thanks for that will look at those, seen a nice house online in Heswall. Does anyone know anything about Prenton, Crosby, Noctorum or Wallasey? Seen some nice houses there.

My ILs are from the Wirral, they say that people from Heswall are "precious". I honestly have no idea, I'm from nearer to Manchester!

Prenton, Noctorum and Wallasey I've heard bad things about. Not sure how true they are and I'm sure there are nice places within them.
Upton and oxton are nice. Port sunlight, higher bebington and bromborough also alright.
I think smile

BumpAndGrind Sat 28-Jun-14 12:38:07

In all honesty I would look south of the port, instead of north.

BumpAndGrind Sat 28-Jun-14 12:40:33

I live in north Wales and Ellesmere port is only a 20 minute drive away.

ProtegeMoi Sat 28-Jun-14 12:41:34

I'd look more towards cheshire area which is lovely in some areas. Depends how much you have to spend though as the nicer areas tend to also be expensive.

Warmandtoasty Sat 28-Jun-14 12:42:06

Thanks, I'm going to sound really stupid here but I've never even been for a day out what kind of places is south of the port and what's north?

Warmandtoasty Sat 28-Jun-14 12:45:24

As far as budget goes we would spend about 250,000 to buy or 900/1000 to rent ideally 3 bed minimum. We are in a 4 bed detached here but house prices are lower where we currently are so I'm aware we might not get that when we move.

I'm from Frodsham, used to be very nice (been a while since I left) it was a great place to grow up and very convenient for Ellesmere Port.

Justtrying Sat 28-Jun-14 12:47:25

I grew up on the Wirral lived in Irby. West wirral from Heswall to Hoylake is lovely but houses can be pricey. The beaches are lovely.

Crosby also nice but across the river Mersey so would be 2 tunnel journies a day current toll is £1.80 each way. Noctorum and Oxton have nice areas personally not so keen on Prenton and Wallasey.

Christleton and Chester lovely too. Be aware of any where too close to Stanlow oil refinery, the air quality is poor and the smell travels a fair few miles. A friend is unable to hang her washing out at all.

Schools wise west wirral and bebington are where the grammar schools are. Neston and Chester as well as North Wirral have comprehensives.

I am very envious i wish i could move back but my work location precludes it.

There is also an effluent works not far from Cheshire oaks way (helsby?) so I wouldn't go too close to that either!

WowserBowser Sat 28-Jun-14 12:49:49

Tarporley and the surrounding villages are very nice and about 25mins away.

Warmandtoasty Sat 28-Jun-14 12:56:33

Thanks everyone this is really helpful. I've heard so many positive things about over there and I'm really excited, where we are currently isn't the nicest as far as friendly people and it's all a bit depressing we've lived here 4 years and never felt happy so fingers crossed this could be great for us, just don't want to get the area wrong again!

I'm in elton near helsby. Avoid this place like the plague.

CarpetBagger Sat 28-Jun-14 13:06:44

whats wrong with Elton>

Any way op its a stunning wonderful part of the world, I would go for the countryside just outisde the city of chester....

there are nice pockets on the wirral, its not a vast area so go and check it out.

PartyGateCrasher Sat 28-Jun-14 13:07:13

Come over the border to north Wales. Very easy to commute to E.Port and you get a lot more for your money property wise.

With the local road networks being good here, days out in the area are easily accessible.

I would go north wales. My good friend is welsh, lives in wales and commutes to Chester. I would move there tomorrow, not only to be nearer to her but because it's beautiful. I love it there.

I wouldn't live in Ellesmere Port, though Chester is lovely.

HenI5 Sat 28-Jun-14 13:21:06

Many moons ago I lived in Parkgate and absolutely loved it there.
The mosquito problem had been brought under control and wasn't any worse than other places I've lived - don't know about now as the marshes are protected RSPB land.

When we were there there was a fabulous community and lots of families, it felt very safe and the children loved it. There's a good cricket club which also has tennis and squash courts and the comp also had a leisure complex. We didn't find any issues being incomers or any snobbishness anywhere and we still have friends there.

Ness is a bit more out of the way, but fine if you have transport because nowhere's that far away from anywhere on The Wirral.

Heswall

Parkgate house

Barn to Rent

Rent Neston or Buy Neston

Hope the links work as they might give you some ideas as to price in that part of the search area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now