Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

60 minute makeover gives me the rage

(23 Posts)
DidoTheDodo Sat 28-Jun-14 08:12:21

Apart from the fact it is a poor man's Changing Rooms... If these people hate their decor so much why don't they bloody well get on and do something about it? Assuming they get, say 5 weeks leave from work per year and maybe go away for three of those, that leaves them a fortnight when they could get the paintbrushes out and stop being so lazy.

Why whinge about having to live with the ghastliness for the past 15 years in a self pitying way? Just get on with it!

Grrrr... Or am I over thinking this?

catinbootz Sat 28-Jun-14 08:13:42

No you're not. It's the world's shittest program.

Buttercup27 Sat 28-Jun-14 08:16:11

And the quality of work is shocking ! I could do a better bodge job then you see on there!

Buttercup27 Sat 28-Jun-14 08:17:44

Very weird as I was writing my post ds2 who had been chewing the TV remote happened to turn the TV over and tada 60 min makeover ! Creepy !

chanie44 Sat 28-Jun-14 08:24:51

My OH hates the way the cut corners, like painting over wallpaper.

I recently saw an episode where they were hanging wallpaper but as they didn't have enough time to let the paste soak into the wallpaper, it has lots of air pockets when they put it all the walls. It looked horrible and they didn't focus on it at the big reveal, so I wonder how they left it.

chanie44 Sat 28-Jun-14 08:25:29

And don't get me stated on the orange one is his dungarees.....

It is shit but I do find myself in the same boat, yes we get 5 weeks holiday and no we're not away for all of it but the DCs are at home and underfoot when we are and being a tiny house with no room to shift furniture around decorating never happens, so I can see why people get tempted to go on it.

Talisawasnotsupposedtobethere Sat 28-Jun-14 08:46:34

Yes to be honest I think I would be more pissed off if they came and did such a shit job than if they didn't bother at all.

I watched on the other week where they did some mosaic tiling in the kitchen. It was AWFUL with loads of uneven gaps and when they went back a few weeks later it still looked shit. I bloody hope that eventually they paid for the woman to get her kitchen wall done properly.

Talisawasnotsupposedtobethere Sat 28-Jun-14 08:48:52

However, I do disagree with the OP. many of the people on there are just too busy to do anything and often have been through a difficult time or are big contributors to the community so it a way of giving something back to them and often failing miserably

wellnowthenmardybum Sat 28-Jun-14 08:54:32

I hate it but allways end up watching it. On pick tv there is a whole day off it on today which I will probably end up watching as I iron

Hoppinggreen Sat 28-Jun-14 09:05:22

I have a family member who works on that show, she regularly sends me photos of her self with The Orange One!!!!

wellnowthenmardybum Sat 28-Jun-14 09:15:06

I watched one the other day, they were making over a teenage boys room. They actually did it well and it was a big improvement, but then at tje end they spray paintes '60 minute makeover' on his wall. WTF. What teenage boy wants that on his wall.

TheFairyCaravan Sat 28-Jun-14 09:19:25

I would imagine most people don't do it because they can't afford it!

BeanyIsPregnant Sat 28-Jun-14 09:28:57

hopping you must be in the know then, do they go back and sort out the half finished mess they often leave behind?!

MotleyCroup Sat 28-Jun-14 09:34:16

I think sometimes people get overwhelmed by just how much work their house actually needs, where do you start. The lady in yesterday's 60 MM said that it had inspired her (or words to that effect) to work on other rooms. I can see how people get in a rut (talking from experience)!

Plus it's so hard when you have kids, decorating during holiday time sounds ideal, in theory though it could be chaotic (would be in this house).

Doubtfuldaphne Sat 28-Jun-14 09:36:45

You get free stuff don't you? Sofas, tv's, furniture. It's probably worth it.

MotleyCroup Sat 28-Jun-14 09:37:55

Yes, would be worth the (sometimes) awful makeovers to get the free stuff.

bloated1977 Sat 28-Jun-14 10:09:19

A friend of mine has recently had her house made over and they have made a complete mess of it. Yes she got a new £2k dining table and chairs but the workmanship is dire. She now has to pay for someone to come in and rectify the damage. She was most gutted about they getting rid of her lovely new sofa and replacing it with a new modern sofa with no back support. Her work colleagues nominated her because she's had a bit of a shit time recently.

MotleyCroup Sat 28-Jun-14 10:47:13

Oh yes that reminds me, my first though when they replaced the tired old sofa on yesterday's programme was that the new sofa and two chairs didn't look like they'd be at all comfortable. Nice to look at and that is all.

BeanyIsPregnant Sat 28-Jun-14 11:11:00

Okay.. I don't think in being stupid here.. But surely they need the 'homeowners' permission to do this to their homes?! The thought of someone who clearly doesn't like me very much wants to help me being able to give tv cameras etc rights to enter my home is a bit scary!

Anyone watching right now?

RollingGreenMarble Sat 28-Jun-14 13:32:45

Er would have no money at all to do this... Many people can't afford to redecorate and would have no idea where to start.

TiredCassandrasbed Sat 28-Jun-14 13:39:35

It is a rubbish show, and has a strange dungaree clad presenter making odd jokes.

As has been said, some people are not well enough, don't have the time, the money, the first idea what to do or maybe decorating is not a priority for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now