Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Like A Girl

(47 Posts)
FrankelandFilly Fri 27-Jun-14 22:04:15

Just seen the Always "Like a girl" advert on YouTube, I've not seen it on TV so thought I'd share it. Softie that I am I actually teared up a bit blush

Link here

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 27-Jun-14 22:17:13

I saw this on Twitter, it's very interesting. I had a tear in my eye too.

The young girls racing around are fab.

FrankelandFilly Fri 27-Jun-14 22:25:28

They're great aren't they. My daughter is only 3.5 months old and the thought of her potentially feeling that way makes me really sad.

omri Fri 27-Jun-14 22:46:22

Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed that. I've a 3 month old daughter too... smile really want to bring her up strong brave and happy in herself.

FrankelandFilly Sat 28-Jun-14 08:36:36

Bum

FrankelandFilly Sat 28-Jun-14 08:37:22

That should read bumping, not "bum" blush

FourEyesGood Sat 28-Jun-14 08:43:44

That was brilliant - way more powerful than I expected (and less schmaltzy than I expected too). Thanks!

PrueDent Sat 28-Jun-14 08:44:31

That's the first time I've seen that advert.

It's good.

Thegreatunslept Sat 28-Jun-14 08:44:40

Just watched this I loved it. Like a girl is a saying I have used before after watching this I will definitely not be using it again!

NickiFury Sat 28-Jun-14 08:46:13

That's brilliant. Also made me cry. I have a 7 year old dd and she's so strong and tenacious, runs everywhere at full pelt. I would hate her to absorb the message that she's not good at the things she does and can be ridiculed sad

MegTheCat Sat 28-Jun-14 08:51:24

Thanks for sharing that. Made me tear up too.
There should be more adverts like that -put a brilliant positive message across and just mention the product name in passing. In fact it may be a good way for advertisers to go as increasingly everyone just skips ads ...Have one everyone wants to see and goes to lookat on youtube.

VeryThelma Sat 28-Jun-14 08:58:36

Really good and thoughtful it actually makes me think about stuff and if it makes me buy their products I don't mind if they promote ideas like thus

FrankelandFilly Sat 28-Jun-14 09:04:16

I'm going to put this as my Facebook status:

"If somebody else says that running like a girl or kicking like a girl or shooting like a girl is something that you shouldn't be doing, that's their problem. Because if you're still scoring and you're still getting to the ball on time... you're doing it right. It doesn't matter what they say. Yes, I kick like a girl and I swim like a girl and I walk like a girl and I wake up in the morning like a girl -- because I am a girl. And that is not something I should be ashamed of."

Eebahgum Sat 28-Jun-14 09:47:37

Wow - that was surprisingly powerful.

Gumblossom Sat 28-Jun-14 09:55:23

Love it! It made me smile and cry and my daughter loves it too.

FredFlintstonesSister Sat 28-Jun-14 10:24:01

Just watched while feeding 4 month old daughter. Predictably, tearing up!

GatoradeMeBitch Sat 28-Jun-14 10:28:30

Well I've always been irritated by that, so if this ad helps lessen its use I'm happy. Whenever someone says you hit like a girl I immediately think of Venus William hitting a 129mph serve...

mamas12 Sat 28-Jun-14 10:33:11

Great I had a rule with my Dcs growing up Never to say that
They were allowed to say like a baby
I also enforced that same rule when I was a football coach, hopefully made them think

Wow! Loved that. I'm going to show it to 5YO DD

Fluffyears Sat 28-Jun-14 12:05:21

I once got told I was doing something 'like a girl' and I said that's because I am a girl and we are amazing.

LadyEnglefield Sat 28-Jun-14 12:19:27

Fantastic message.

To my petite (122cm and just on 3 stone) nearly 9 year old DD, to 'run like a girl' means to complete a 2k run every Sunday in just over 11 minutes leaving lots of boys behind hergrin

notmydog Sat 28-Jun-14 12:23:30

I did the experiment with my 9 year old, and she ran, threw and fought like the younger girls, with lots of enthusiasm. It is quite sad for me to see the change in teenage years.

Urvy Sat 28-Jun-14 12:27:03

From Always, who make sure we won't smell like a girl, with their scented towels grin

Very good powerful message being delivered there.

BetterWithCheese Sat 28-Jun-14 12:38:44

I saw this on YouTube this morning and also found it surprisingly powerful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now