Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What's the best painkillers for gallstone attacks?

(23 Posts)
EvilGallstones Fri 27-Jun-14 21:59:49

Seem to get some relief from codeine but I need something stronger but my GP is reluctant to give me anything stronger

I want to try morphine, pethadine or tramadol

EatTheRude Fri 27-Jun-14 22:11:49

All I ever had was codeine phosphate, did take the edge off the pain a bit. Gallstones are horrible, so glad I had mine taken out.

Tramadol and morphine was all that worked for me.

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKahleesi Fri 27-Jun-14 22:15:50

When I have an attack I need at least paracetamol, tramodol and oramorph codeine alone wouldn't touch it

I hope you can get some pain relief sorted out, it's such an awful pain isn't it

nickdrakeslovechild Fri 27-Jun-14 22:17:48

sorry to say just remove the fuckers. The most painful things in he world. Sorry I know that's no help but I do feel your pain. I cant remember what the doctor gave me but he did jokingly say horse tranqualisers and when I took them I was pain free, but also unable to get out of bed. What on earth could they be?

KurriKurri Fri 27-Jun-14 22:35:04

My GP has prescribed pro banthine for mine - its not a painkiller as such - its (I think) and antispasmodic thing and it actually takes the edge of the pain for me better than painkillers like codeine.

If I'm having a bad attack I take two tablets and it does help it settle (doesn't totally sort it out, but means I can function rather than curl up in ball and moan) - it does have the side effect of causing a very dry mouth which is uncomfortable but definitely the lesser of two eveils when compared with GB pain. Just make sure you have a bottle of water with you when you've taken it.

GB pain is a bloody nightmare - my last attack happened when I was at an airport, waiting to catch a flight to go to a funeral, I was in the loos throwing up, doubled up with pain, and trying to listen out for my flight call! ) but I did manage to get the tablets down and get on the flight.

Definitely keep persisting with your GP to get something effective.

lobsterkiller Fri 27-Jun-14 22:35:09

1 x tramadol with 1 x paracetamol. Always worked well for me.

Taking two tramadol on its own used to make me trip out and not in a good way.

Tramadol is better IMO than any painkiller containing codeine. The simple reason behind this is that codeine can irritate the bile duct in a lot of patients - it causes spasms which can make the duct contract, and in some cases, the gall bladder also.

wiltingfast Fri 27-Jun-14 22:44:42

I had a stash of tylex from c section that doc said to carry on using. Didn't leave me functional or anything though. I used to throw a few motilium in there too.

They took the gallbladder out last Sep, THAT has worked...

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKahleesi Fri 27-Jun-14 22:45:57

I should also say though my gp told me tramadol has recently been made a controlled drug and has moved up a category and so is harder to get now, not impossible though and I think it's worth pushing for because gall stone pain is just so awful

NormHonal Fri 27-Jun-14 22:47:19

Co-codamol but it also made me vomit.

Removal is the best option, really.

Voltarol - not the over the counter stuff but the proper full strength hospital grade suppositories. I had an attack while staying at MIL's and was hospitalised. They gave me pethidine and it didn't touch the pain. My own hospital gave me voltarol and it was brilliant. I don't know if they can be prescribed by your GP although it may be worth asking.

Just don't expect to be conscious after using them grin

Kundry Fri 27-Jun-14 22:53:03

An anaesthetic while they are removed.

Nothing else works that effectively. And pethidine is a highly addictive emetic with minimal analgesic properties.

pinktoe Fri 27-Jun-14 23:31:11

The only thing that worked for me was a hot bath and Tramadol or morphine.

I suffered with the pain for 18 months without knowing what it was. After the last but one flare up, I was really ill for over a week and ended up jaundiced. That was when gallstones were mentioned and I was referred for a scan. I had another fare up last week (still awaiting the scan) and went to A&E in the early hours due to the pain. I was given morphine and admitted to a surgical ward, discharged on the evening with an appointment to go back on Monday for a scan. As the attack had calmed down by that point my gallbladder was not inflamed and I had the surgery that day rather than being put on a waiting list. I'm recovering now, sore but very worth it.

My advice, don't sit at home in pain. I wish I had gone to hospital sooner. The sooner you are on the waiting list for removal the better.

helensburgh Fri 27-Jun-14 23:34:49

Following with interest.

I find buscopan antispasmodic helps a little

Came back to add that an antispasmodic helps, but Helen beat me to it!

If Buscopan doesn't work, then Colofac (mebeverine) is worth a try.

Limelight Sat 28-Jun-14 02:29:14

Diclofenac!

And then get it taken out asap!

momnipotent Sat 28-Jun-14 02:34:01

The only thing that helped me was morphine, but that did unpleasant things to my mind, not enjoyable at all.
Got my gall bladder removed and it was the best feeling ever to know I would never ever feel that pain again!

sallysparrow157 Sat 28-Jun-14 02:54:58

Voltarol up the bum is apparently the most effective for gall bladder and kidney stone pain.
Opiates like codeine and morphine based stuff can cause smooth muscle spasms which is what the pain is caused by, so although they are good painkillers, they actually make the problem a bit more painful
Tramadol is pretty good but can make you a little trippy (and downright not on this planet in some people)
Buscopan stops the cramping (the problem is basically a big gallstone being squeezed down a small tube and the pain is due to the small tube doing its best to push the stone along), it isn't a painkiller so won't get rid of pain already there but will help ease the attack.
I've never had gallstones and I'm a doctor of things gall stone unrelated. But if you randomly decided to see a paediatrician about your gallstones I would give you voltarol suppositories, buscopan and possibly some tramadol if you were young and healthy other than having evil excruciating pain! I would also want to take your gall bladder out but only when you were completely well so I would wait for you to get better, hope it never happens again and if it does, wait for you to get better again then arrange for the nice people with scalpels to make it all better! Gall bladders are usually quite straightforward to remove but can be a little bit bleedy on occasion so I would only want one taken out that really needed to come out

KurriKurri Sat 28-Jun-14 12:49:22

sally if you have gallstones and are generally healthy - will they always offer to remove them for you? (I'm still having tests done on mine for various reasons and I'm worried I'll be told to just put up with it, I want them gone!)

MrsLiamNeeson Sat 28-Jun-14 13:30:48

Buscopan with co-codamol at the very first twinge. I remember being confined to the sofa feeding DD while screaming at DH to get me the pills straight away, because I knew the pain was coming and I never knew how long it would last.

Getting it removed was a blessed relief.

Harry1603 Sat 28-Jun-14 13:36:24

I found Buscopan helped but only if taken at the first hint of pain - any further than that and nothing touched it. I had the pain occasionally for a few years but didn't go to the doctor as it had passed by the time I could get an appointment. The last time I had it I went to A & E where I was diagnosed with pancreatitis and gallstones and told it had to come out - the best thing I could have done!

Oh and in A & E they only gave me paracetamol...

PartTimePunk Sat 28-Jun-14 13:53:18

Agree with diclofenac [difene]. I had this with solpadol which worked v well for me before I had my gallbladder out. I was prescribed tramadol initially but it turned me into a zombie and I had to change it after DH realised one day that I was starting to hallucinate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now