Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Does anyone find their local post office staff as miserable as sin?

(91 Posts)
Ledkr Fri 27-Jun-14 16:14:41

Ours are horrible, it's as if you've annoyed them going in.
I just went to pay a cheque into lloyds via them as well as some other jobs, the woman barked "you need an envelope" then the rest if the transaction was done in silence with no pleases and thankyou a despite me being really pleasant.
It's been the same for years even through staff changes, fortunately I don't use it much but I just dont understand why they are so horrible and rude.

Footle Fri 27-Jun-14 16:16:22

Nope. Ours are brilliant, efficient and very funny.

PlaydoughGirl Fri 27-Jun-14 16:17:32

Ours are terrible. Sarcastic, rude, unpleasant - they clearly don't want to be there. I dread having to go there.

wonkylegs Fri 27-Jun-14 16:17:37

Sorry ours are lovely - thriving village post office.
But where we used to live they were awful & seemed to go out of their way to dislike people - funnily enough it's struggling to survive.

IndridCold Fri 27-Jun-14 16:23:58

Very friendly and extremely helpful, luckily. There was a smaller post office nearby, though, that was manned by the most miserable old git you ever met. They closed him down, and it's now a house called the Old Post Office!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Fri 27-Jun-14 16:24:50

Ours look irritated and bored.

Round here quite a lot of shop staff seem to think they're doing you a massive favour by serving you.

I tend to avoid those places now.

MegCleary Fri 27-Jun-14 16:26:56

Ours are awful, I send a lot of my daughters clothes to my sister in Ireland for her daughter and one day day while sending a parcel that cost £33 a member of staff said what's in it? I said clothes and the other member of staff sat beside her said in the sourest, sarkiest voice she always says that. I replied because it's always true. They are just horried and rude.

TiredCassandrasbed Fri 27-Jun-14 16:28:28

Well in a way, the poor Woman is still sad about the loss of her DS who was in his twenties, he had just finished Uni, and they don't even know what he died of.

bigTillyMint Fri 27-Jun-14 16:28:36

Depends on which PO I go to! The one nearest home are pretty friendly, One of the ones near work are very slow but OK and the other one near work they are barking!

GemmaTeller Fri 27-Jun-14 16:30:03

Mine are lovely (I made sure I got them onside as I post a lot of parcels every day).

I used to work in Stratford (E London) years ago and the staff in the main post office there were awful.

Ledkr Fri 27-Jun-14 16:32:39

Isn't it weird? I'm reassured it's not all post offices tho. My friend works in one and is really friendly.
Maybe it's a really horrible job.

BomChickaMeowMeow Fri 27-Jun-14 16:32:39

Yes, a bit grumpy, and this is in a local village one which is quite laid back and not that busy except at Christmas. I imagine it can be quite stressful and people have a go at them in the main offices as it can be a long wait and then they can be dealing with quite personal things at times. But still, if you are being polite to someone I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a pleasant interaction in return and not for someone to act like you are inconveniencing them in being there.

OberonTheHopeful Fri 27-Jun-14 16:32:41

The ones in my local post office are friendly and helpful.

Got two small post offices near me & the staff in each one are sour faced crones. Its like they're doing doing you a favour serving you.

OfficerVanHalen Fri 27-Jun-14 16:40:17

Bit unhelpful in ours.

Mind you, I know why they look v askance at me. I once parcelled up some of lovely Bof's stuff she'd left behind after a meet up. Left it on the side in our kitchen overnight, went to bed. Dh then came in from the pub, and unbeknownst to me, drew a cock and balls on the underside of the box ( he knows our Bof loves a cock picture), which I didn't spot next day until I handed the parcel over at the post office.

TheHouseatWhoCorner Fri 27-Jun-14 16:41:59

Mine are grumpy, unwelcoming and give the impression I'm being inconvenient by visiting. Their signage is very negative, deterring and forbidding. But they are the Royal Mail parcel handling place so I don't have any choice but yo use them.

RachelWatts Fri 27-Jun-14 16:44:46

Ours are nice. It's family run, and one of the granddaughters is the same age as DS1.

chipshop Fri 27-Jun-14 16:45:22

The staff are lovely at the three post offices near me. One is run by a friendly couple who have a parcelling table with free Sellotape and scissors to use so I always go there. grin

MotleyCroup Fri 27-Jun-14 16:45:28

Yes!

The woman who I took my parcel to the other day looked at me with a dead pan face whilst a happy chappy was training her. She was SO miserable and obviously didn't want to be doing the job (post office in a shop) the said 'happy chappy' should have taught her to smile!

WilliamShatner Fri 27-Jun-14 16:48:36

The one in Gowerton was run by an ex Nazi and her henpecked husband.

Horrible woman. There was also another old boot who did the bidding of the other woman.

Both incredibly rude and would carry on chatting as you went in and stood waiting to be served.

I once stood there whilst old boot number 2 was sellotaping something up. I bought an A4 size envelope from them but realised the sticky seal was no longer sticky. I asked her if I could have a small length of Sellotape to secure the envelope and she grinned maniacally at me and pointed to their stationery. I can't remember the price of the diddy sized roll but it was extortionate!

They had a petition going to keep the post office going but everyone I spoke to had the same experience and didn't like them.

The post office has been moved to a local mini supermarket and is staffed by lovely friendly people.

To my chagrin I discovered the horrible old ladies had been over charging me as when I sent the same size parcels they were cheaper!

Bastards.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Fri 27-Jun-14 16:55:16

Ours are awful too. Lazy and rude and spend more time moaning about having to do something - than it would have taken to do the thing in the first place.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 27-Jun-14 16:56:58

There's only one strange woman in ours. She reminds me of Blakey from on the Buses. Every customer is there simply to ruin her day a little bit more, as are her colleagues. She's singlehandedly running Royal Mail in her head.

IloveJudgeJudy Fri 27-Jun-14 17:04:29

Our local one which opened because another local small one had shut, has mostly rude, horrible people in there. I go there as little as possible. They always complain if we send anything already franked (via Paypal, I think) as they don't get so much commission. If they were friendlier, I would do it through them.

The big one in the town centre is lovely, but a pain to get to.

ILickPicnMix Fri 27-Jun-14 17:04:42

Our local PO is run by a grumpy old guy and a woman with a face like a smacked arse.
The only time they have smiled is when a parcel of mine got lost. They asked if it was valuable and when I said yes they looked delighted.

I have to go in most days for work. I've been to loads of PO over the years (travel around for work) and I've heard all sorts. I've been sworn at for trying to change an old £20 note, refused change despite banking thousands with them. I've had nasty, sarcastic comments. I've come out of one in tears before and refused to go back. My job isn't dissimilar (Ladbrokes) but if I spoke to customers like that I'd get the sack!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now