Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I know this has been done to death but would you

(12 Posts)
Dharmalovesdraco Fri 27-Jun-14 12:43:37

Leave a very sensible 11.5 year old home alone for 5 hrs?

Ok so maybe not that specific question has been asked but I know the whole 'what age to leave your children' has been but I need opinions please.

DD is very sensible and we've left her before for an hour and a half max, she knows what to do (and what not to do) in case of emergency, not to answer phone/door, cook etc and also what to do if we're not back when we say we will be. Previously we've used the school holiday club but she hates it, she's the eldest there by a good two years and just finds it boring and really doesn't want to go. My work is 2 minutes away by car if that, so if she needed me I could be there straight away, and it's for 3 days that I just haven't been able to juggle or find an alternative care.

So would you leave her?

Cocolepew Fri 27-Jun-14 12:45:08

Yes I would, especially as you are only 2 minutrs away.

Sparklingbrook Fri 27-Jun-14 12:46:04

Hi Dharma. That sounds fine to me, just for 3 days. Are there any neighbours that she could go to in an emergency?

normalishdude Fri 27-Jun-14 12:49:58

the fact that you're asking opinion on here indicates to me that you're not sure about it. In which case, I wouldn't if I were you.

Dancergirl Fri 27-Jun-14 13:00:14

Yes I would. As long as you are in phone contact.

funkybuddah Fri 27-Jun-14 13:04:28

Yep

WilliamShatner Fri 27-Jun-14 13:07:19

Yes, absolutely fine.

Dharmalovesdraco Fri 27-Jun-14 13:26:33

Thanks everyone - yes she know to go to the neighbours if necessary, though she shouldn't need to as I'm just up the road.

I am 98% ok with it and in all honesty I don't think I'll be 100% even when/if she goes to Uni, but I think that's my problem not hers. I think I just needed some validation from total strangers that it would be ok and I wasn't being some terrible lax parent smile

Twitterqueen Fri 27-Jun-14 13:31:40

Absolutely fine. You've got the back-ups in place and she knows where you are.

My youngest DC always relished (and still does) the rare opportunity to be alone in the house. She used to watch sad DVDs like Les Mis and have a good cry.

roseypeach Fri 27-Jun-14 14:03:49

Yes I would. But would call often just for my own peace of mind!

TheFantasticMrsFox Fri 27-Jun-14 14:10:01

10.5 yo DS is staying at home tomorrow for nearly 3 hours as DH and I both have varying work commitments. Like you OP I am only 4 minutes drive away and he knows what to and what not to do (though I know I will be worrying all morning hmm)

Dharmalovesdraco Fri 27-Jun-14 14:28:16

I think I will be ringing on the hour, every hour and maybe in between too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now