Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Am I miserable or is DH odd to do this? (trivial)

(79 Posts)
AndHarry Fri 27-Jun-14 10:18:30

I cooked a big batch of soup and froze it in portions so DH and I could take them for lunches at work. I told DH about it this morning and he said, "Oh good, I'll take two." Why two? "One for me and one for [his administrator]; it'll be syn-free for her." I was a bit shock but he absolutely couldn't see the problem. I wouldn't have minded if he'd asked to take one for her but I'm not going to start cooking for his whole office! I thought I was being nice cooking for him too...

So was I being miserable or was DH being odd and if so, how do I explain why?

MrsJohnDeere Fri 27-Jun-14 10:31:10

Very odd

Humansatnav Fri 27-Jun-14 10:31:32

He is being odd.

Weird.

fuzzpig Fri 27-Jun-14 10:32:14

Odd

Ellypoo Fri 27-Jun-14 10:34:55

Odd, but bless him for thinking of her & what she can eat for lunch on SW hmm

MrsKoala Fri 27-Jun-14 10:36:15

I'd find it odd if DH knew what someones dietary intake was and also wtf 'syns' are. It would imply a level of caring for something quite personal that i would think is odd.

I would also be a bit weirded out if someone i worked for brought me in some soup and said they knew it had no 'syns' in it. if they brought food for the whole office then not so odd. But just for me would feel odd.

Petitgrain Fri 27-Jun-14 10:38:41

In all honesty, I'd be a bit suspicious. Sorry.

coppertop Fri 27-Jun-14 10:38:54

Odd.

I also wouldn't be happy about dh playing at being Mr Generous by presenting her with something that you've taken the time and effort to make.

Chocotrekkie Fri 27-Jun-14 10:40:08

I think it's sweet - she obviously has soup a lot and he has noticed and thought it would be a nice thing to do.

But then I make cakes etc for Dhs workmates and regularly give away food to others - I'm the one who leaves a casserole when someone is sick etc.

dexter73 Fri 27-Jun-14 10:41:21

I think it sounds really nice of him and not odd at all.

I don't think it's weird. My boss's wife bakes cakes for us all to share

MaloryArcher Fri 27-Jun-14 10:41:44

Really fucking odd.

<<waits for the cool wife brigade to turn up>>

Standinginline Fri 27-Jun-14 10:42:46

I find it odd that he knows instantly whats syn free :/ lol

Pancakeflipper Fri 27-Jun-14 10:43:11

Odd and impressed he knows what is sin-free

(because I would not).

GiniCooper Fri 27-Jun-14 10:43:24

Odd...

I used to work in a place with a large canteen. We used to lunch together.
Quite often I or my colleagues used to bring in food to share but with everyone.
The only time I ever saw people bringing one on one food to each other were having an affair.

lettertoherms Fri 27-Jun-14 10:45:29

Odd. But nice and harmless.

Do you often make him nice lunches? Perhaps he gets a lot of, "Oh, that looks/smells wonderful, your wife is such a good cook, I wish I could have that for lunch!"

Chocotrekkie Fri 27-Jun-14 10:46:20

My DH knows the syn value of loads of things and what's super free, free etc.

He cooks a lot of the meals as he is home first.

CiderLover Fri 27-Jun-14 10:46:47

Hmm I don't think it is strange. We spend most of our time with our work colleagues, why wouldn't we know about their diets etc?

This is something I would do. I often bring in biscuits etc and have picked up gluten free cookies for a colleague.

The only thing that would baffle me is the fact it is a lunch rather than a treat. Why should he br providing her with lunch? I think he is just being kind though

GarlicJunoWho Fri 27-Jun-14 10:48:23

Odd, and perhaps not so harmless. Totally different from bringing cake for everyone; it's a very personal favour. Is he scared of this administrator & trying to grovel? Or - erm, are they very close?

GarlicJunoWho Fri 27-Jun-14 10:49:57

Bit of a nerve to treat you like a free gift shop, as well!

AndHarry Fri 27-Jun-14 10:50:27

I think the difference between this and a colleague's partner making cakes for their office is that they were doing it on purpose as a nice thing. I was cooking as a functional "here's lunch for the next week" thing. I wouldn't have minded if he'd asked, it was just the casual assumption that he could take one for her that took me by surprise.

As regards the whole affair thing, she's only been there two weeks grin He knows all about syns and every other diet going as he has 3 sisters and a mum constantly on different diets and two of them are on SW at the moment.

CeliaFate Fri 27-Jun-14 10:51:20

That's odd and very personal.

Perhaps he'd just been talking to her about her diet that day and it just popped into his head?

Would it make a difference if it was a male colleague?

Dh has given his p.a. presents before now, to thank her for working extra hours, but this feels different to me.

AndHarry Fri 27-Jun-14 10:53:29

I think he was just trying to be nice but missing out on the fact that it would mean that one of us wouldn't have lunch one day or I would have to cook more.

rookiemater Fri 27-Jun-14 10:53:31

I wouldn't like it. Not so much from the getting too close to a colleague perspective, but from the fact that you had gone to the bother of preparing meals for your family and he is just handing them out willy nilly to random people. I felt the same rage once when I came home and found that our DH had 4 different type of frozen home cooked meals defrosted and was offering them to fussy DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now