Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Omg - if ever I'm on 60 Minute Makeover please don't let Linda Barker anywhere near my house

(59 Posts)
CaptainTripps Thu 26-Jun-14 14:55:27

What the hell has she done to that lovely couple's front room? Twigs on the wall shelves? Giant fern print wallpaper and a hideous blue colour for the other wall?
She wanted to 'bring the garden inside' apparently.

Hideous. Hideous. I think the poor couple seem very underwhelmed.

Is it all about the designer's ego? Or does she really think this is a good look?

Olbas Thu 26-Jun-14 14:57:57

She is truly awful! I don't think they liked it much and I don't blame them!

NinetyNinePercentTroll Thu 26-Jun-14 14:59:08

Don't ever let 60 minute makeover near my house, full stop.

SongsAboutB Thu 26-Jun-14 15:04:32

That programme is so slapdash, you just know that the wall paper is going to peel off within 10 days and any carpentry will fall apart on first use.

Sparklingbrook Thu 26-Jun-14 15:07:35

Nightmare. was it her and the oily orange together?

JimmyCorkhill Thu 26-Jun-14 15:16:02

Did you see her yesterday on Ch5 - New House for 5K? HORRIBLE. It was just like Changing Rooms had come back to life. Dark blue wall with silver tape (yes, like silver Sellotape) patterns tuck on it. A shelf unit with an empty suitcase stacked on each shelf. Not quirky vintage cases, just the manky one you would find in your Nan's loft. I did like the mismatched tiles in the kitchen though blush

JimmyCorkhill Thu 26-Jun-14 15:16:24

patterns "stuck" on it

PeterParkerSays Thu 26-Jun-14 15:24:58

yesterday's was lovely - all sage green and a kimono hanging on the wall. It may even have enhanced the house's value.

Why do they let some of these designers wreck houses like this?

WilliamShatner Thu 26-Jun-14 15:33:50

Linda Barker is a beautiful woman. Her taste in soft furnishings is dire.

I like her, I don't like her style.

I used to love Changing Rooms, it was hilarious!

Opening your eyes and seeing a room in your house ruined and Laurence Llewelyn Bowen grinning maniacally at his efforts and your friends from down the road standing their looking guilty!

squoosh Thu 26-Jun-14 15:36:10

Linda Barker!?

I thought she had been locked into a time capsule labelled '2001 - Not To Be Opened Until 3022' and buried under some concrete.

squoosh Thu 26-Jun-14 15:36:31

Concrete with a Moroccan style of course!

Universal Thu 26-Jun-14 15:39:52

I thought it was a really old programme being repeated. Even the owners looked stunned in a not very good way.

ScarlettDarling Thu 26-Jun-14 15:42:10

I know, that poor old couple...those twigs nailed to their wall! What had they done to deserve that!? Bet they evicted daughter and family after the cameras went away!

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Thu 26-Jun-14 17:07:02

Didn't they once staple the curtains to the wall (closed i think) on Changing Rooms?!

MonterayJack Thu 26-Jun-14 17:56:00

I was ok with it till the reveal of the living room. Dear God, what WAS she thinking of? At least they won't have a hard time getting to the suitcases when they're off on holiday. Truly, WHY would she think anyone would want a suitcase on every shelf of a bookcase? Are they supposed to put their books, photos, nick-nacks inside them. Ridiculous.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 26-Jun-14 18:22:31

Does everyone remember Handy Andy and his MDF everything cut with a jigsaw?

confused

And the themed rooms. Because you want the Spanish Villa look in one random room in a 1930s semi is Bristol...

hmm

Elsiequadrille Thu 26-Jun-14 18:26:19

Some, actually most, of the rooms on Changing Rooms were awful. All that MDF. Linda Barker's were some of the worst I thought. Too fussy, looking like they'd fall to pieces at earliest opportunity.

MammaTJ Thu 26-Jun-14 18:41:02

What is with the Orange One putting his thumb print in every house?

WTF?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 26-Jun-14 18:45:42

Does anyone remember that classic Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen one that involved bright red and zebra print? The returning owners just couldn't hide their horrors. Was in the papers and everything - I remember there was a bit about a clause saying it wasn't Changing Rooms responsibility if makeover vile, and they wouldn't return to previous condition.

Boudica1990 Thu 26-Jun-14 18:47:49

I watched this with my gran today, and we both pulled this face shock it was bloody awful!!

Not suitable for a family home, the furniture looked awful and that wallpaper made me want to vomit, then there was all the crap placed on the dining room table.

I would have cried if I walked in there, it looked like a peacock had exploded in there and vomited everywhere.

prettybird Thu 26-Jun-14 18:50:27

To be fair - the suitcases were to store her paperwork, as she also had an "office" in the living room.

I didn't like the silver taped "panelling" though - I though that looked cheap and nasty. But I though the mismatched tiling in the kitchen was surprisingly effective.

MamaPizza Thu 26-Jun-14 19:08:55

Is there a link somewhere? I want to see it.

SarahAndFuck Thu 26-Jun-14 19:42:59

I was on 60MM, thankfully it was between Claire Sweeney leaving and Peter Andre starting, so we had no host other than the designer.

We got Richard Randall. He was very good, we liked almost everything he did and he was very nice to us when the sound men got a bit arsy-cliquey and wouldn't let us sit with them at tea break (they had special chairs apparently). He also fended off a rude florist who tried to do their own filming inside our house and coped manfully with a wasp swarm that were picking off the crew one by one.

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Thu 26-Jun-14 19:43:47

I haven't seen it since the first go round but my abiding memory is of a wonderful gracious woman who had just had her teapot collection smashed.

Handy Andy (mortified) had put up some awful shelves - iirc shelves hung by cables at each corner- they put all the teapots on them and they promptly collapsed and shattered them all. It was awful.
That and the looks of horror and occasional tears led me to vow unceremonious murder on any friend or family member who thought they could use us and the house to get on the tv.
Why do these poor people do it? Even if it looks ok the work is shite so you'll end up paying anyway. Madness.

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Thu 26-Jun-14 19:47:37

Well that couldn't have been shitter timing. I apologise I cross posted with you Sarah and was not in any way directing my comment at you.

I'm glad you liked what he did. Did he give you any say? Or just go with his muse?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now